Sep 29, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
The Orioles announced this afternoon that they have claimed Steve Pearce off waivers from the Yankees. Pearce was designated for assignment earlier this week when the Yankees activated Brett Gardner and David Aardsma from the 60-day disabled list.
This will be Pearce’s third team this season and his second stint with Baltimore. The Orioles acquired him from the Yankees in June and he batted .254/.321/.437 with three home runs and 14 RBI in 83 plate appearances with the club before being claimed off waivers from the Astros in late July. The Yankees then got him back from the Astros in late August for a player to be named later. And now he’s back with Baltimore. Quite a weird year.
Pearce won’t be eligible for the postseason roster, but it would be pretty interesting if he does something to help the Orioles top the Yankees in the American League East. Don’t underestimate that “Oriole Magic.”
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 0
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 19
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 22
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 66
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)