Sep 29, 2012, 2:53 PM EDT
The Orioles announced this afternoon that they have claimed Steve Pearce off waivers from the Yankees. Pearce was designated for assignment earlier this week when the Yankees activated Brett Gardner and David Aardsma from the 60-day disabled list.
This will be Pearce’s third team this season and his second stint with Baltimore. The Orioles acquired him from the Yankees in June and he batted .254/.321/.437 with three home runs and 14 RBI in 83 plate appearances with the club before being claimed off waivers from the Astros in late July. The Yankees then got him back from the Astros in late August for a player to be named later. And now he’s back with Baltimore. Quite a weird year.
Pearce won’t be eligible for the postseason roster, but it would be pretty interesting if he does something to help the Orioles top the Yankees in the American League East. Don’t underestimate that “Oriole Magic.”
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)