Sep 29, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
UPDATE: Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News reports that Cano is in today’s lineup against the Blue Jays, playing second base and batting cleanup.
9:31 AM: Nothing official from the team yet, but Meredith Marakovits of YES Network hears that X-rays were negative on Cano’s hand. However, it’s not clear whether he will play today.
9:30 AM: Scary moment for the Bombers last night, as Robinson Cano was hit in the left hand with a pitch during the sixth inning. He stayed in the game and even had an RBI single in the eighth inning, which is a pretty promising sign, but Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that he was sent to a Toronto hospital after the game for X-rays.
Cano actually underwent a fluoroscope exam at Rogers Centre, but it came back inconclusive. Yankees manager Joe Girardi is optimistic that it’s nothing serious, but they just want to rule out the possibility of a fracture. Test results are expected to be available this morning.
Cano went 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored last night and is hitting .301/.371/.526 with 30 home runs, 83 RBI and an .897 OPS in 156 games played this year.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 23
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 54
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 101
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)