Sep 29, 2012, 10:03 AM EST
UPDATE: Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News reports that Cano is in today’s lineup against the Blue Jays, playing second base and batting cleanup.
9:31 AM: Nothing official from the team yet, but Meredith Marakovits of YES Network hears that X-rays were negative on Cano’s hand. However, it’s not clear whether he will play today.
9:30 AM: Scary moment for the Bombers last night, as Robinson Cano was hit in the left hand with a pitch during the sixth inning. He stayed in the game and even had an RBI single in the eighth inning, which is a pretty promising sign, but Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that he was sent to a Toronto hospital after the game for X-rays.
Cano actually underwent a fluoroscope exam at Rogers Centre, but it came back inconclusive. Yankees manager Joe Girardi is optimistic that it’s nothing serious, but they just want to rule out the possibility of a fracture. Test results are expected to be available this morning.
Cano went 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored last night and is hitting .301/.371/.526 with 30 home runs, 83 RBI and an .897 OPS in 156 games played this year.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 21
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)