The velocity chart from Homer Bailey’s no-hitter is pretty nuts

Sep 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT

Courtesy of the outstanding Brooks Baseball, here’s the velocity chart from Homer Bailey‘s no-hitter last night against the Pirates. It’s pretty bananas.

source:

Gee, think he knew he had a no-hitter going?

(Hat-tip to Jack Moore of CBSSports.com and FanGraphs for bringing it to my attention)

1. braddavery - Sep 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM

No offense intended, but what’s the big deal?

• joeflaccosunibrow - Sep 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM

The velocity is trending up. Most everyone’s will trend down.

I think you can say he was getting an adrenaline rush as he knew the no-hitter was coming.

• braddavery - Sep 29, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Ah, got it. Thanks.

2. ch0psuey - Sep 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I think its pretty neat. Bet if they could measure Adrenaline if would follow the same path.

3. mlb4life - Sep 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Homer had it all going last night. If the Reds rotation can stay focused a 1-2-3-4 of Cuteo, Latos, Bailey, and Arroyo is pretty darn good. The only team in the NL with a comparable rotation is probably the Nationals.

• braddavery - Sep 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM

And with Strasburg out, I think the Reds now have a big advantage in starting rotation heading into the post season.

• Mark - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I think you’re both selling the Nats short. Gio Gonzalez has been their best pitcher this year and he’ll still be in the playoffs. Zimmerman, Detwiler and Jackson have all been quite good as well.

With Stras out, the best pitchers on both teams are:

Gonzalez (2.89 ERA, 2.84 FIP) > Cueto (2.83 ERA, 3.27 FIP)
        Zimmermann (2.90 ERA, 3.56 FIP) > Latos (3.52 ERA, 3.91 FIP)
        Jackson (4.13 ERA, 3.94 FIP) = Bailey (3.75 ERA, 4.06 FIP) Arroyo (3.70ERA, 4.10 FIP)

The Reds have a great team, but even without Stras the Nats rotation is better.

• Mark - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Bah, it took out my Detwiler (3.45 ERA, 3.83 FIP) > Arroyo line. Should be:

Jackson (4.13 ERA, 3.94 FIP) = Bailey (3.75 ERA, 4.06 FIP)…this one depends on whether you prefer ERA or FIP.
        Detwiler (3.45 ERA, 3.83 FIP) > Arroyo (3.70ERA, 4.10 FIP)

• Shafer's Dealer - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Just want to add, despite their standing, the Braves lead NL pitching since the All-Star break.

First in ERA, Fewest runs allowed, lowest AVG, SLG, OPS, and WHIP.

• braddavery - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM

The Reds team ERA for the last 30 days is 3.02, good for 4th best in the Majors, compared to 3.61 for the Nationals, good for 10th. I still think the Reds pitching is overall better heading into the playoffs.

• mrredlegz - Sep 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Gee Mark, I don’t think it’s a preference between ERA and FIP. It looks more like a preference between the Nats and the Reds.

I’d say its a wash at best until you get to the back end. And I’ll take Homer and Arroyo over Jackson and Detwiler all day long.

• Mark - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM

mrredlegz – I don’t follow or care about any NL teams. I just went by the numbers. Unless you have any evidence to suggest that Arroyo/Bailey are better than Detwiler and Jackson, in which case I’m all ears.

• chill1184 - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I wont be one bit surprised if we see a Nats-Reds NLCS

4. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM

It looks like a pitching performance. I wonder how this looks to early games in his career. The early charts would be a straight line.

• metalhead65 - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM

it is not all his fault the reds screwed him up at the start of his career. rushed thru the system and brought up before he was ready it is a wonder he is still around. he would be sent down after a couple of bad games then brought right back up after a couple of good ones in the minors. hard to be consistent when you are being used like that. he finally ran out of options so he has had to learn on the job and looks like he has finally figured it out. at least on the road anyway.

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Looks like a chart off an electrocardiogram.

• indaburg - Sep 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Yeah, you’re right. It looks like a very scary read off an EKG.

6. norcaldeportes - Sep 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM

According to this chart, it’s pretty obvious that sometime between the 4th and 5th inning he took PEDs.

• djpostl - Sep 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Hell, just lining up versus the 2d half Pirates is one big PED.

7. Brian Donohue - Sep 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

It’s actually the opposite of “bananas” — it’s a picture of efficiency. Here’s a nice comparison: healthy brain activity, imaged on an electroencephalogram (EEG), will show a similarly “spikey” distribution, while EEGs of people with neurological illness such as seizure disorder will show smooth, flowing, synchronous waves. I’m sure you can look it all up if you don’t believe me.

And yes, the chart also reveals that he reached back for something near the end. But if I were the Redlegs, I’d be somewhat concerned that my offense generated 2 runs over 18 innings against the Pirates pitchers, who had just been slapped around by the Mutts and the Astronaughts in previous series. Homer’s performance notwithstanding, that’s not a great omen for the postseason…

8. paulage77 - Sep 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Here is my tribute to Reds and the no-no that a I got today http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulage_77/8037012787/in/photostream

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3241)