Sep 29, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Scherzer played catch today without pain and is scheduled to long-toss tomorrow at full effort. The hope is that he’ll be able to throw a bullpen session Monday, setting up his return for Wednesday’s season finale against the Royals. Justin Verlander is starting today against the Twins and isn’t an option on three days’ rest, even in a do-or-die situation with the division on the line.
Via Brooks Baseball, Scherzer averaged under 92 mph on his fastball during his last start last Sunday against the Twins, down from his 94.2 mph average for the year. The 28-year-old right-hander has a 3.82 ERA and 228/52 K/BB ratio over 183 2/3 innings over 31 starts this season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)