Sep 30, 2012, 7:05 PM EST
With both of MLB’s remaining 19-game winners making their final starts today, we now know we’ll finish the year with four 20-game winners. The Rays’ David Price got to 20 by beating the White Sox today, but the Reds’ Johnny Cueto was left with a no-decision after allowing three runs — one earned — in seven innings in a no-decision against the Pirates.
The four 20-game winners is the high total since 2008, when Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Mike Mussina and Brandon Webb all reached the plateau. There hasn’t been more than four since 2003, when Roy Halladay, Esteban Loaiza, Jamie Moyer, Russ Ortiz and Andy Pettitte made it five.
With pitching having made something of a comeback, there have been 10 20-game winners these last three seasons. Despite 2008’s total of four, there were a total of five 20-game winners in the four years from 2006-09.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Chase Utley plans to wear Phillies red until his contract runs out.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
Everything’s coming up Padres lately.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:31 PM EST
Brian Wilson and his beard are back on the free agent market after the Dodgers released him on Friday.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
The Red Sox have brought back lefty Craig Breslow on a one-year deal for $2 million.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Padres’ outfield should hit a lot of homers in 2015, but they may give back a lot of those runs on defense.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Orioles have settled on a new hitting coach: Scott Coolbaugh.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The Giants are looking to solve their third base dilemma with Casey McGehee.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
Jon Lester now has a personal catcher.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
All baseball moves the Yankees make must be construed as pro-A-Rod or anti-A-Rod. There are literally no other reasons the Yankees make baseball moves.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Howie Kendrick’s replacement?
Dec 19, 2014, 3:25 PM EST
Minor League Baseball’s top lobbyist wants minor leaguers classified as if they were babysitters and seasonal farm workers.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
He’s owed $2.75 million for 2015.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
It’s complicated. But you can bid on his deferred compensation, payable by the Mets.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Hart was one of the best right-handed power hitters in baseball for the Brewers from 2010-2012.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
Dec 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
The Padres have made a flurry of moves in the past few days. It may help them win some more baseball games. But it will undeniably fire up a fan base that has had nothing to get excited about for years.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
Furcal is actually a year older than Jimmy Rollins at 37 and hasn’t been healthy since 2012
Dec 19, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Bud is still going to be CCd on all the imporant emails, it seems.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:12 PM EST
Rollins waived his no-trade rights to facilitate a move after 15 seasons in Philadelphia.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
One player the Padres did NOT get.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)