Sep 30, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
With both of MLB’s remaining 19-game winners making their final starts today, we now know we’ll finish the year with four 20-game winners. The Rays’ David Price got to 20 by beating the White Sox today, but the Reds’ Johnny Cueto was left with a no-decision after allowing three runs — one earned — in seven innings in a no-decision against the Pirates.
The four 20-game winners is the high total since 2008, when Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Mike Mussina and Brandon Webb all reached the plateau. There hasn’t been more than four since 2003, when Roy Halladay, Esteban Loaiza, Jamie Moyer, Russ Ortiz and Andy Pettitte made it five.
With pitching having made something of a comeback, there have been 10 20-game winners these last three seasons. Despite 2008’s total of four, there were a total of five 20-game winners in the four years from 2006-09.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
He thinks Gerrit Cole hit him intentionally. He’s probably right.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:22 AM EDT
This is what your face looks like when you give up your first hit of the game with two outs in the ninth inning.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
Carlos Carrasco had a no-hitter Wednesday with one strike to go. When this happened …
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
We have some history in the works Wednesday night in Tampa Bay.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
You’re gonna want to see this play that Manny Machado pulled off in Wednesday night’s game …
Jul 1, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia was unable to perform scheduled throwing workouts on Saturday and Monday due to cramping in his left groin — the same issue that drove him from his last start Wednesday night against the Marlins.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:21 PM EDT
Stoneman was the Angels’ general manager in 2002, when the the franchise won its last World Series championship.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Young was batting just .270/.289/.339 with two home runs in 180 plate appearances this season for the Orioles. The 29-year-old hit .302/.337/.442 with seven home runs in 255 plate appearances last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
One of the best hitting prospects in baseball.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT
Cueto allowed one run over eight innings while striking out eight.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Silent Cal chooses to run.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
For better or worse, owner Arte Moreno is standing with Scioscia.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
“The most ridiculous no-hitter in baseball history”
Jul 1, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Santana has been “rehabbing” in the minors.
Jul 1, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Bruce Sutter retired when Ronald Reagan was still president. He’s still being paid by the Braves.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Jul 1, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
A book is coming out which is telling us just how bad a teammate Yasiel Puig has been. Should we care?
Jul 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He was runner-up in 2009.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:12 AM EDT
Which, in reality, is a really dumb thing to mock the Mets for.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
It seems that if you battle with Mike Scioscia, you’re going to lose.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)