Sep 30, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
A scary story after another big win for the Orioles. The team charter experienced a small fire on the flight to St. Pete tonight and was forced to make an emergency landing in Jacksonville. MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports that the team is currently at the Jacksonville airport while the plane is being inspected.
The Orioles are traveling to St. Petersburg to face the Rays in a three-game series beginning Monday. At 92-67, Baltimore is tied with the Yankees atop the AL East.
Update: Incredibly enough, the Orioles’ official Twitter account posted this during the game earlier this afternoon (hat tip to Yahoo’s Jeff Passan).
Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) September 30, 2012
Update 2: The Orioles were able to get back into air after being grounded for about an hour. They learned during the second leg of their flight that they’d be going to the postseason, courtesy of the Rangers’ win over the Angels.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)