Sep 30, 2012, 10:48 PM EDT
After a rare Joe Nathan blown save and a rough loss in the opener, the Rangers came back to beat the Angels 8-7 in the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader and clinch at least a wild card berth.
Mike Napoli again made some noise against his former team, homering twice and matching his career high with six RBI. He’s hit .396 with 12 homers, 10 doubles and 19 walks in 111 at-bats versus the Halos in two years as a member of the Rangers.
The Rangers’ outburst gave Derek Holland a win after he allowed seven runs in 6 2/3 innings. He became the fifth pitcher this season to give up seven runs in a win. One of the previous four was Ervin Santana, who took the loss for the Angels tonight. He gave up six runs in 2 2/3 innings to end the regular season 9-13 with a 5.16 ERA.
The result clinched postseason berths for the Orioles and Yankees (both 92-67), as the Angels (88-71) are no longer possibility to overtake either with three games remaining. The Angels also fell three back of the A’s (91-68) with three to play.
The Rangers (93-66) head to Oakland with a two-game lead in the AL West. The A’s must win only one of the three games to clinch a wild card berth and eliminate the Angels and Rays (88-71).
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)