Sep 30, 2012, 10:48 PM EDT
After a rare Joe Nathan blown save and a rough loss in the opener, the Rangers came back to beat the Angels 8-7 in the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader and clinch at least a wild card berth.
Mike Napoli again made some noise against his former team, homering twice and matching his career high with six RBI. He’s hit .396 with 12 homers, 10 doubles and 19 walks in 111 at-bats versus the Halos in two years as a member of the Rangers.
The Rangers’ outburst gave Derek Holland a win after he allowed seven runs in 6 2/3 innings. He became the fifth pitcher this season to give up seven runs in a win. One of the previous four was Ervin Santana, who took the loss for the Angels tonight. He gave up six runs in 2 2/3 innings to end the regular season 9-13 with a 5.16 ERA.
The result clinched postseason berths for the Orioles and Yankees (both 92-67), as the Angels (88-71) are no longer possibility to overtake either with three games remaining. The Angels also fell three back of the A’s (91-68) with three to play.
The Rangers (93-66) head to Oakland with a two-game lead in the AL West. The A’s must win only one of the three games to clinch a wild card berth and eliminate the Angels and Rays (88-71).
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 0
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 5
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)