Sep 30, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
B.J. Upton hit his 27th and 28th homers for Tampa Bay, and David Price was in control, yielding two runs in seven innings to become the first 20-game winner in Rays history. Joel Peralta and Fernando Rodney finished up from there as the Rays took three out of four in Chicago.
Detroit won despite being outhit 10-7. Of course, all of Minnesota’s hits were singles. Prince Fielder hit a two-run homer in the eighth to do all of the damage the Tigers needed this one.
Miguel Cabrera‘s bid for the Triple Crown appears poised to go down to the wire. He ended the game 0-for-3 with an intentional walk, lowering his average to .325. Joe Mauer went 3-for-4, also with an intentional walk, raising his average to .323. Also, Mike Trout went 2-for-4 in the Angels’ victory, putting him at .322 entering the second game of a doubleheader. Josh Hamilton didn’t homer, so Cabrera remains tied for the AL lead with 43 there. The RBI title is all wrapped up.
The Tigers will be able to clinch the AL Central by winning in Kansas City any of the next three days. The White Sox have already been eliminated from the wild card, so things appear very bleak for them.
Tampa Bay still has a slim shot. The Rays really need a loss from the A’s today, though. They’ll end the day two or three back of Oakland for the second wild card.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)