Sep 30, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
They say I can’t focus on the positive. Let’s give it a whirl:
Yankees – Definitely a great day for the offense after a sluggish start. The slumping Alex Rodriguez went 2-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored. The first of those runs came when he hustled home on a wild pitch. Robinson Cano stayed hot, going 3-for-5 with two doubles to finish the four game series with 10 hits. He had 15 hits during the seven-game road trip, raising his average to .306.
Blue Jays – Henderson Alvarez turned in another successful start against the Yankees, allowing two runs in six innings. He pitched seven innings of three-run ball at Yankee Stadium 11 days ago. He ended up striking out 17 over 18 2/3 innings in his final three starts, an encouraging sign if there ever was one. He was at 62 strikeouts in 169 1/3 innings through 28 starts.
Orioles – This team just never lets up. Nate McLouth, J.J. Hardy and Chris Davis all homered today. Jim Thome had two hits and two RBI, and it’s looking more likely that he can be a key contributor in the postseason. Joe Saunders improved to 3-3 with a 3.63 ERA in seven starts for Baltimore, putting him in a position to start a game in the ALDS should the club advance.
Red Sox – The loss clinched a spot in the bottom 10 of the major league standings, meaning they won’t lose their first-round pick if they sign a top free agent this winter. They’ll have a top-10 pick for the first time since 1993 (when they got Trot Nixon seventh overall) and just the second time since 1967.
See… good news for everyone!
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)