A video remembrance of the Pirates 20 years of futility

Oct 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

pirates logo1

I really don’t mean to jump on Pirates fans here. They know better than anyone how long it’s been since they had a winning team, so they don’t need anyone to remind them.  But this video chronicling the 20 years since Francisco Cabrera drove in Sid Bream in the 1992 NLCS is … something.

And yes, I’d say so even if it didn’t begin with Francisco Cabrera driving in Sid Bream.

(thanks to @JakeMHS for the heads up)

1. billobrienschindimple - Oct 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM

One more and I can legally buy the streak a beer.

I hope the streak exercises its right to vote this year as well.

2. timmons94 - Oct 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Just watched it. Realize I haven’t recovered from that game yet. Randy marsh killed us on the berry hill at bat. That was the killer

3. redguy12588 - Oct 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Man how the good times fly…and the bad times never go away.

4. groundruledoublebourbon - Oct 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

The Pirates went to the NLCS in 1992? Royals fans like me admire your “recent” appearance in the playoffs.

Really, though – that was quite a video. Bravo to whomever put that together.

• phalatek6 - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I can’t congratulate the video maker. It’s a bunch of stuff that happened and it served to remind us of the things that happened, but it was basically irrelevant to anything the Pirates actually did or did not do.

Show some of the “All stars” from those teams and the payroll mismanagement and botched trades and drafts and compare that with the players they passed on, gave up on, let walk, or gave away, and that would be more interesting to me than a montage about the Pirates and for some reason Bryce Harper

• albrot - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Watching actual highlights makes for a more compelling video than stills of Chad Hermansen and John Van Benschoten, for some weird reason.

The point was to show the heartbreak that started it, the incredible passage of time (the elections are really good milestones), and the fact that entire franchises have come into being, reached the top of the mountain, sometimes twice, while the Pirates wallowed as a punchline. I focused on Harper because he has never seen a world in which the Pirates even reach .500, but now he is in the postseason.

5. bancacentral - Oct 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I was 9 years old at the time of “the slide”, and what I most vividly remember about that game was Andy Van Slyke sitting in disbelief in center field. it was later reported that he stayed there for half an hour. I agree with Craig, that Franky Cabrera was the end to the Pirates and somehow Andy Van Slyke knew it right there.

• thelucasjj - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I was also 9 when this happened, and listening to the game on the radio of my dad’s truck crossing through the Flordia pan handle. This is the first baseball memory I have and the only game that ever brought me to tears.

It is hard to believe all that has happened since then and that I would be turning thirty and they still wouldn’t have a winning season since then.

6. timmons94 - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Banca. Slick knew drabek and bonds were gone. Although he hated bonds he knew we were done

7. kander013 - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

The best lesson from that video? Thankfully Frank TV is no longer on TV and TBS isn’t running ads for it non-stop. What will their show be this year? Time will only tell…

8. Jason @ IIATMS - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Geez, some of you guys are young. The truth about that video: Unlike the rest of us, chuckling about the futility of certain teams never gets old.

Now get off ma lawn

9. Francisco (FC) - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Is it just me, or does it seem like there’s always some Cabrera involved in these things? Almost like a DC Inifinite Crisis thing where some version of the same superhero is at it again.

10. Francisco (FC) - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Damn. I’m not a pirates fan but that made me sad. I notice they focused on all the expansion teams since ’92. Basically, all of them have made the postseason while the Pirates have not yet managed a winning season (it’s debatable to include the Nationals since they were really the Expos but the talking point here was that the Pirates started losing before Bryce Harper was born, and this kid is going to the postseason this year…)

11. sophiethegreatdane - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Wow….not a Pirates or Braves fan, but that play at the plate is forever burned into my memory. I was standing in the hallway of my dorm, beer in hand, peering into the room next to mine (they had a TV, I didn’t). I couldn’t believe the Braves were going to the World Series and that it came down to a play at the plate. I thought to myself, right there and then, that I would probably never forget the chills of that moment. And I haven’t. Still to this day, just, wow.

12. gogigantos - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Rooting for the Pirates to get back to it. All that time ago led to B. Bonds as a Giant. That was a good good good ride you all, that was fun.

13. johngaltx - Oct 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Quit picking on the Pirates. There are currently 17 teams over .500, it could be less by Wednesday. At the end of the day there is going to be one winner and 29 losers. Happens every year. If a team does not win the World Series they are losers. LOSERS. So what if the Bucs finished one game over .500, would there be a parade? A trip out to be on Jay Leno? No—they would still be looking up at the eventual WS winners right along side of the other 28 teams with or without winning records.

Lou Lamoriello once stated that any year that his team did not win the Stanley Cup was a failure. At the end of the year there will be one winner, and twenty-nine failures.

• chill1184 - Oct 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

“Anytime I hear teams down in Spring training that hedge and fuss about their goals for year and do not say that they plan on winning it all in the upcoming year, well they are losers before the season even starts.”

Not saying that your wrong but when players say that all that does is paint a target on their respective backs.

I assume that your a fellow Devils fan, while I agree with Lamoriello but at the same time don’t think any Devils fan was expecting us to go all the way to the cup finals this past season.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3958)