Braves lose, Nationals clinch first National League East title

Oct 1, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT

Davey Johnson Reuters Reuters

It didn’t happen exactly the way the Nationals would have drawn it up, but they’ll definitely take it.

The Braves fell 2-1 to the Pirates tonight, ensuring the Nationals their first-ever National League East title. The news of the Braves’ loss flashed on the scoreboard at Nationals Park after the top of the ninth inning, which was met with pandemonium in the stands and a celebration in the dugout. The Nationals ended up losing 2-0 to the Phillies, but it was almost secondary to the buzz in the air and in the dugout.

There will be playoff baseball in D.C. for the first time since 1933. As for the Braves, they will officially play in the one-game Wild Card playoff on Friday. The Cardinals currently hold a two-game lead over the Dodgers for the second Wild Card spot.

1. Stiller43 - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Youre welcome washington

• natslady - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Thank you. THANK YOU, Pittsburgh, for making the Fillies totally irrelevant!!!! That was unreal.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:25 AM

A) still can’t stop talking about the Phillies?
        B) Phillies never backed in…..:)

• voteforno6 - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM

@delawarephilliesfan:

There is no bad way to win a division.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM

@vote – Natslady knows what/why I am saying that.

• phinphan85 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Congrats to your team, but enjoy it while you can, post-season baseball is a whole different story.

• recoveringcubsfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

The question is, does Cole Hamels have a “prestige golf game”? And, can older golfers deliberately drive into his foursome if they don’t like his attitude??

• natslady - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I was actually thinking of the bottom of the 9th–after everyone in the Park and everywhere knew the Nats had clinched, and the boys go up for three quick outs with absolutely NO interest in tying the game, and the opposing team slinks off the field after a victory. And the submarine horn and fireworks after a “defeat,” a defeat at the hands of the Nats’ hated rival in their own park. It was very sweet. May not last, but it was a GREAT moment for those of us who have been Nats fans for a long time and had to put up with Fillies invasions, Fillies drunk on the Metro, etc. etc.

• natslady - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Er, Fillies FANS drunk on the Metro… The only time I ever witnessed a fight at Nats Park, a few rows in front of me, yes, you guessed it, drunk Fillies guys. Werth hit a HR in the top of the 9th, then RZ hit a walk-off in the bottom of the 9th. And a guy starts throwing punches at a Nats fan who stood up to cheer.

2. raysfan1 - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Congrats to the Nats

• dcfan4life - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM

And Orioles. Finally teams like the Nats and Orioles are in the playoffs. But you know what i noticed, no team will win 100 games this year. Anyone else surprised by that?

• ajcardsfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Must have been those darn replacement Refs again (sarcasm)

3. caps247 - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM

First in war, first in peace… and finally, first in the N.L. East!

4. phillyphannn83 - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM

No surprise CC didn’t write this, he gas no idea how to write anything negative against the Braves.

• natstowngreg - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Craig has no problem criticizing the Braves, if he feels the need.

Reality is, the Braves have had a really good season. The Nats have had a little bit better season.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Dipshit.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Still trying to give Phans as bad a rep as you possibly can, are you?

• natstowngreg - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

And doing an outstanding job of it.

Just tryin’ to stay positive here…

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Im bustin his chops bro. Get off his jock, its sad.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Busting chops is one thing. Constantly berating him for not writing what you want him to write is something entirely different. And I was referring to your entire comment portfolio, including this one, not just this one. Bro. (I’ll even post this as a reply to your original comment, as well, just so you actually see it.)

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM

And what exactly is it that you’re doing here to me? Constantly berating me for not writing what you want me to write?? I can write whatever the f**k I want just like you can ride Craig’s nuts like you want. One suck-up is enough. For claiming to be old, you really act like a 9 year old girl.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I’m calling you out on sounding like a whiny little kid, thereby perpetuating the Philly fan stereotype. Craig is more than able to stand up for himself. My point is that, apparently, you don’t like himor what he writes, and yet you continue to read his posts. That’s not healthy.

And again, stop fixating on Craig’s crotch.

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Im done with this catry back-and-forth with you. Clearly youre blind to your own faults. Youre trying to set a double-standard here. Youre giving me shit, saying im complaining about what Craig writes, while your’re complaining about what im writing. You dont see whats wrong with that?

Btw, I have to be fixated on Craig’s croth when thats where your head is. I like to look people in the eye when I talk to them. And you need to check your nose again, I think you missed a spot. Still got some brown stuff on thre.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I most certainly am not blind to my own faults. I just try to right them. No double standard here. The difference between me calling you out and you bitching about Craig is the fact that your responses perpetuate the stereotype of whiny Philly fans, which affects me and a good many of us on here and elsewhere..

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

And you dont sound whiny?

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Again, there’s a difference. I may sound whiny to you, but I am thoroughly pissed off at a few vocal Philly fans making it bad for the rest of us.

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM

• phillyphannn83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

What are you? His official online defemder??? You sound like a sad little kid when smeone dissed his daddy.Craig makes his bones by trolling Phillies fans but we cant troll him back?? Im pretty sure he has thick skin just like we do. Again, I cant believe im constantly telling you this, get off his jock!!!

• Utley's Hair - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM

What you do isn’t trolling him back. What you do is whine like a little kid who is upset that his mommy won’t give him dessert. And it perpetuates the entire Philly fan stereotype, which speaks to your claim that “we” have thick skin.

By the way, why are you so fixated on Craig’s crotch?

5. randygnyc - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I’m, did anyone see the post game interviews. Strasburg is going to pitch in the playoffs!!!!!

6. Francisco (FC) - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Congratulations Nationals!

7. natstowngreg - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Pennant race baseball. Switching back & forth between the Nats and Pirates telecasts on my high-def idiot box.

Brian McCann chops to pitcher Jared Hughes, throw to first.
    Change channel.
    Nats Park goes berserk.

Would have been nice to clinch with a win, but props to Kyle Kendrick for a very good performance. Props also to Jeff Locke for gutting it out, and to the Pirates bullpen.

BTW, looks like nobody needed to tell Bryce Harper what the t-shirts were for this time.

8. jimw81 - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

great run for my phils. it had to end sometime. they will regroup. national league is even. it’s going to fun to watch.

Nats line up+Gio
    Braves line up +bullpen
    Reds Votto, Bruce, Phillips+nasty bullpen
    Giants- solid line up, Cain, Bum
    Cardinals line up, pitching

• natstowngreg - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM

There was a part of this season where I thought the Fightins’ needed to rebuild. Now, I’m less sure. They will finish .500 at worst.

• jimw81 - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I don’t think they don’t. Phillies learned what they can get out utley and howard for rest of their careers.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM

There are still question marks, but imo, this will be less “interesting” an off season for the Phillies then it looked to be 2 months ago. A lot of guys emerged that will fill foles. They need build the middle relivers, pick an Outfielder, and we are all set for the next 5

9. natstowngreg - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Cards 4, Reds 2.
    Giants lead Dodgers, 1-0, top 4th.

Nats retain best record (they have the tiebreaker over the Reds).
    Cards clinch if the Dodgers lose.

• tatum064 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Happy as hell A’s are IN!! Both bay area teams in post season!!!

10. randygnyc - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

How are these fans not commenting about strasburgs post game remarks. He’s been preparing to through in the NLDS. This is not snark. HE’S PITCHING IN THE PLAYOFFS. That’s the big news of the night.

• natstowngreg - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I checked several sources, none of which say anything about any plan to put Strasburg on the NLDS roster. Even if Strasburg says he’s preparing, that doesn’t mean he will be on the NLDS roster. It’s not his decision. Show me something more than the kid’s wishes, and I’ll pay attemtion.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I can’t see that happening

• voteforno6 - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:37 AM

He was messing around with the guys on MLB network. He’s not pitching again until spring training.

11. xmatt0926x - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM

randy, you’re like that copy machine guy on Saturday Night Live from back in the day. Just begging for someone to pay attention to you.

12. kkolchak - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:42 PM

As a Nats fan, I’ve been saying throughout the second half of this season that winning the division means everything for this club. Hoist a championship banner of some kind over Nats stadium, and then everything they do in the playoffs is gravvy.

Anyway, I’ve got my tickets for the first home game of the NLDS…the first playoff game in DC sine 1933. :)

Congrats to the Nats!

• natstowngreg - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Tomorrow, I’m supposed to get my share of our (half) season tickets for all of the home NLDS and NLCS games. I said I wouldn’t cry, but no guarantees. Hope to get to use the NLCS tickets. We also hope to get to use our World Series tickets (which haven’t been sent yet). Regardless, the Nats have progressed beyond our expectations.

• natslady - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:10 AM

I’m in my car at 9:44 pm. driving home from work. Yeah, I cried. Tickets were under my door when I got home. Yeah, tears. Not a lotta tears, but wet eyes, definitely.

BTW, did you see anyone actually drinking the champagne, beer, and cider? Or did they mostly drench each other? That Gio is something!!!

• natstowngreg - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Saw one player drink from a can.

But that’s not the point. It’s about guys having permission to behave like 12-year olds.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:39 AM

“Hoist a championship banner of some kind over Nats stadium, and then everything they do in the playoffs is gravvy”

Thats what Phillies fans said in ’07.

Not trolling here – serious discussion point. The Nats last night really reminded me of the 2007 Phillies. Gio Gonzalez commented that they made “history”. I mean, I get that he is excited, and he should be feelign on top of the world. He and they earned it. But winning a division happens 6 times a year, it’s not history. It really reminds me of the cloud the Phillies were in 2007.

Now to that point, the Phillies kept it chugging after that year, and perhaps the Nats will too. But alot of folks in DC are going realize very soon that staying on top is far harder then getting there.

• natstowngreg - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Couple of fair points, but yes, it WAS historic. It has been 79 years since a Washington team has won an MLB championship of any kind, even a division. For 33 of those years, there was no team to compete for a division championship. Fans here have not had the experience, except the few (like owner Ted Lerner) who remember the 1933 Senators. And those who were paying attention to the 1948 Homestead Grays.

Yes, we are in our little cloud right now. After all the bad baseball we have endured, and given the team’s unexpected rise this season, I dare say we deserve it. Just as Phillies fans did in 2007. BTW, using Gio Gonzalez as an example is a little unfair. Of course, Gio is going to go over the top; that’s how he is.

Yes, it won’t be easy to stay where the team is right now. But worrying about that is for after the season.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I agree, it is not anythign to “worry” about, just an observation

• natstowngreg - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Understood.

13. jaysjunkie - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Congratulations to the Nationals. Somewhere, though, Expos fans weep.

• kkolchak - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I always had a soft spot for the ‘Spos. You have to wonder how much different things might have been for that franchise had they not been robbed of what was going to be a very good chance at winning a World Series by the idiotic 1994 lockout.

If there is a hell, I hope Bud Selig and Jeffrey Loria burn it in for what they did to that team.

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM

“Somewhere, though, Expos fans weep.”

All 6 of them

14. jaybyrd99 - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Fightin’s fan here- congrats to the Nationals . They’ve had a phenomenal season this far and I wish them well moving forward .

15. badmamainphilliesjamas - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Congrats to the Nationals . . . great season!

16. runteddyrun - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

NATITUDE!!!!!

17. frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM

First – hats off to the Nats – after the great season they have had this seemed like a formality.

Second – are you kidding me Atlanta? Division title on the line, Nats losing to the Phillies, close enough to make fans in DC sweat, and you get 2 hit by a team that fucking quit in August? Get real.

I guess it’s now official – our last game is 10/5.

18. Utley's Hair - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Congrats to the Gnats and their non-fairweather bandwagon fans—you know who you are. Enjoy it while you can. Injuries, bad luck or a cold snap can wreak havoc on the best laid plans.

The Phils will be back next year. Keep it warm, will ya? 8)

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I remember those ’06 Mets…..oh wait, no I don’t.

• natstowngreg - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

thanks

19. dino1730 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Congrats to Nats and their fans. Think anyone in Montreal is celebrating? Anyway, Phils will be back in 2013.

20. billgatesbarber - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

That’s the Frenchy I know and love! Optimistic till the end. And it is historic, Delaware. First division title for the Nats/Expos franchise. It’s been a great year and I hope it doesn’t end till Halloween. GO NATS!!!

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM

“First division title for the Nats/Expos franchise”

Sheesh! You steal Montreal’s team, and now you try to erase their one moment in the sun? Mon dieu!

• frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Suck it gates. You have 3 games left.

21. billgatesbarber - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Check your facts, Delaware.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You mean they don’t award division titles during strike years?

• delawarephilliesfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Okay, checking facts……yes, the Expos are still 1981 NL East Champs

22. billgatesbarber - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Hey Frenchy, I’m new to this playoff thing, is that how it works for the Braves?

23. frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Why yes. Check your facts.

24. billgatesbarber - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM

My mistake. Technically this is the second division title for the Nats/Expos. The 81′ strike season was played under a different format and the Expos were the winners of the last 2 months of the season and won the NLDS against the Phills. The best record in the NL East in 1981 belonged to the Cards.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM

TELL ‘EM STEVE-DAVE!

25. billgatesbarber - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Good news! Two more wins and the Phills will be the second half champs of the NL East for 2012.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2854)