Oct 1, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
Brett Anderson missed his two final scheduled regular-season starts because of a strained oblique, but after throwing a bullpen session Monday, he said he believes he’ll be ready to pitch Friday should the A’s have need of him, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
The A’s would play their wild card game Friday if they win one or two of their final three regular-season games against the Rangers. If they sweep Texas, then they’d win the AL West and avoid the wild card. If they get swept, then they might face a potential play-in game against the Angels or Rays for the wild card.
Oakland’s projected Friday starter is Tommy Milone. He had a bit of an off day Sunday against the Mariners, but he still finished the regular season 13-10 with a 3.74 ERA. Not having pitched in a couple of weeks, Anderson might be a more realistic option as a reliever in that game should the need arise.
Still, the A’s have to be thrilled that Anderson has progressed without a setback. Without him, they’d be slated to start rookie pitchers for the entirety of their postseason run. Anderson has only made a handful of starts since returning from Tommy John surgery, so he’s hardly a sure thing. However, he had a very impressive 1.93 ERA in his first five outings before injuring his oblique in his sixth.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)