Oct 1, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
Brett Anderson missed his two final scheduled regular-season starts because of a strained oblique, but after throwing a bullpen session Monday, he said he believes he’ll be ready to pitch Friday should the A’s have need of him, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
The A’s would play their wild card game Friday if they win one or two of their final three regular-season games against the Rangers. If they sweep Texas, then they’d win the AL West and avoid the wild card. If they get swept, then they might face a potential play-in game against the Angels or Rays for the wild card.
Oakland’s projected Friday starter is Tommy Milone. He had a bit of an off day Sunday against the Mariners, but he still finished the regular season 13-10 with a 3.74 ERA. Not having pitched in a couple of weeks, Anderson might be a more realistic option as a reliever in that game should the need arise.
Still, the A’s have to be thrilled that Anderson has progressed without a setback. Without him, they’d be slated to start rookie pitchers for the entirety of their postseason run. Anderson has only made a handful of starts since returning from Tommy John surgery, so he’s hardly a sure thing. However, he had a very impressive 1.93 ERA in his first five outings before injuring his oblique in his sixth.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)