Oct 1, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Darren Oliver has been so good while posting a sub-3.00 ERA in five straight seasons that it’s easy to forget he’s 41 years old, but the Blue Jays left-hander revealed yesterday that retirement is on his mind.
Oliver has had one of his best seasons, throwing 56 innings with a 2.10 ERA and 52/15 K/BB ratio for Toronto, but John Lott of the National Post writes that “he sounds like a man ready to stay home.”
Here’s some of what Oliver had to say:
Every kid needs a father at home. That’s important to me. I think it should be important to a lot of people. Baseball’s second. Family’s first. I’ve always said that. … Even though I was there, a lot of times I didn’t see them that much either, but obviously I was at home. It’s still tough. They’d go to school and by the time they got home from school, I was already at the field, and by the time I got home from the field, they’re sleeping. Then you go on the road. It doesn’t matter where you’re at, it’s still tough.
If he does decide to come back for a 20th season the Blue Jays hold a $3 million team option on Oliver that they’d obviously exercise.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 162
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)