Oct 1, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Darren Oliver has been so good while posting a sub-3.00 ERA in five straight seasons that it’s easy to forget he’s 41 years old, but the Blue Jays left-hander revealed yesterday that retirement is on his mind.
Oliver has had one of his best seasons, throwing 56 innings with a 2.10 ERA and 52/15 K/BB ratio for Toronto, but John Lott of the National Post writes that “he sounds like a man ready to stay home.”
Here’s some of what Oliver had to say:
Every kid needs a father at home. That’s important to me. I think it should be important to a lot of people. Baseball’s second. Family’s first. I’ve always said that. … Even though I was there, a lot of times I didn’t see them that much either, but obviously I was at home. It’s still tough. They’d go to school and by the time they got home from school, I was already at the field, and by the time I got home from the field, they’re sleeping. Then you go on the road. It doesn’t matter where you’re at, it’s still tough.
If he does decide to come back for a 20th season the Blue Jays hold a $3 million team option on Oliver that they’d obviously exercise.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)