Jake Peavy might act as his own agent

Oct 1, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Jake Peavy Getty Images

Because the team option the White Sox hold on Jake Peavy will pay him $22 million, he’s probably going to be a free agent, getting a $4 million buyout instead.  If he becomes a free agent, Toni Ginnetti reports, he may act as his own agent, because his current agent is taking a job with the Diamondbacks front office.

This quote from Peavy followed that news:

“I’d like to come back here,” he said. “I love Chicago and this team. I hope we’ll be able to work something out.”

First rule of the sports agent game, Jake, is to not tell your negotiation partner that you really, really wanna go back there as it sort of harms the leverage.  I’m guessing you’ll be OK here, but if you need any other advice, let me know. I’ll only charge you 5% of your next deal. Not 10% like those other, um, ten percenters.

1. stex52 - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:34 PM

What do they say about guys who act as their own lawyers?

• historiophiliac - Oct 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Players who act as their own agents have Curt Shilling for a client?

2. heyblueyoustink - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

5% and a year’s worth of Funions.

• bjbeliever - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM

God knows he loves the Funions.

3. sportsdrenched - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I know there are plenty intracacies to employment contract law that I don’tunderstand. But if you’re a professional athlete and signed a few of them, and have a general understanding of the marketplace…I don’t know why it would be a big deal to represent yourself.

• stex52 - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I sort of make the opposite assumption from you. I think any deal made in business that involves millions is going to be replete with issues involving contract execution, liabilities, injury contingencies, payment terms, non-performance, etc. I think I might try to negotiate the terms down a bit with a new agent, but I think I would figure my job was to pitch, their job was to deliver me a contract with approval from all the experts to assure my needs were met and the club couldn’t jerk me around.

4. baseballisboring - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I’d be curious to know if any other players act as their own agents? I feel like being your own agent would hurt your leverage too, since most teams would assume you don’t really know what you’re doing?

5. rathipon - Oct 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM

There’s probably a boilerplate contract that they all use for the basic terms and then anything unusual goes into a Rider. I have a feeling, if that’s the case, he’ll do fine. He could always hire a heavy hitting attorney at some white shoe firm for $1,000 an hour to review it and still come out way ahead with that 10% in his pocket. I think the agents earn their money doing a lot more than contract review.

6. jlovenotjlo - Oct 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Take this for what it is, could be total crap, but I’ve heard from a couple Chicago media outlets propose that Peavy might give a “hometown discount” to the White Sox for paying him an incredible amount of money the last few years while he wasn’t even pitching for them. He isn’t going to cut some crazy deal for them, I’m guessing, but should (hopefully) settle for a little less than what is out there.

7. crnvic847 - Oct 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Mmmmmm funyuns

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3544)