Jim Tracy to have a meeting with the Bobs

Oct 1, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT

Jim Tracy AP

The Colorado Rockies are completing their worst ever season. And, despite the fact that Jim Tracy is under contract for 2013, his job is on the line. But not based on what goes down on the field. Rather, what’s said in a meeting:

A meeting this weekend in Denver between Bill Geivett, the Rockies’ director of major-league operations, and manager Jim Tracy will go a long way in determining not only whether Tracy returns, but the coaching staff and the club’s direction.  Rockies owner Dick Monfort said Sunday that no decision has been made on Tracy’s future. He pointed to Geivett’s discussion with Tracy this weekend as the important factor.

Geivett:  Jim. we’re thinking we need to win more baseball games. You agree?

Tracy: I dunno, Bill. That’s one way to look at it, but I was thinking we should try to lose 97 or more games again. Kinda feels right.

Geivett:  Hmm. I see.  Well, good meeting, Jim. We’ll let you know what we decide later.

Well, obviously I have no idea what goes on in those kinds of meetings. I do sorta feel like whatever Tracy has to say doesn’t matter, though. Geivett was elevated to his current role in August when Dan O’Dowd was stripped of some of his GM powers, and O’Dowd was Tracy’s major backer, giving him a contract extension last winter.

So maybe the meeting will be more like this:

Geivett: What is it exactly you do around here, Jim?

Tracy: Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don’t have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can’t you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!

1. pandaaa69 - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Was that suppose to be funny?

your boss: Craig what do you right about all goddamn day?

Craig: uhhhh I sit here trying to be funny.

your boss: you suck!

• Adrastus Perkins - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

You’ve obviously never seen Office Space.

• allisonhagen - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Obviously, you’re not a golfer.

• Old Gator - Oct 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I cannot imagine what I would write about golf. I can’t imagine staying awake for a game of it. I think George Carlin and Oscar Wilde both had it nailed.

• klbader - Oct 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

It’s pretty clear that you aren’t paid to be funny either.

• nategearhart - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Doesn’t your 4th grade language arts class start WRITE about now?

2. Panda Claus - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I loved the Office Space reference. It sounds like some people are having a case of the Mondays.

3. Ryan - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

It was a “Jump to Conclusions” mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor… and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO!

• ahealthyscratch - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM

That is literally the worst idea I’ve ever heard.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS