Oct 1, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
OK, so the comparison isn’t quite perfect, but I needed a catchy headline to get you to read about this craziness.
When the Cardinals lost starting shortstop Rafael Furcal for the season they called up Pete Kozma from Triple-A, where he’d hit just .232 with a .292 on-base percentage and .355 slugging percentage in 131 games. And that offensive ineptitude was nothing new for Kozma, whose career numbers in the minors include a .236 batting average and .652 OPS.
Kozma was the 18th overall pick in the 2007 draft coming out of high school, but at no point in his six-season career as a minor leaguer has he ever hit. His career-high OPS is .702 and his batting averages by season are .233, .258, 231, .243, .214, and .232. Based on his lengthy track record Kozma projected to be one of the majors’ worst hitters.
But the Cardinals called him up, mostly because they lacked other options, and then a funny thing happened: Kozma started hitting. So much, in fact, that manager Mike Matheny couldn’t possibly take him out of the lineup. So now through 23 games as a major leaguer Kozma has hit .338 with a .600 slugging percentage and .975 OPS. And the Cardinals, despite injuries to multiple key players, have hung tough in September and are headed to the playoffs, where Kozma can see if his deal with the devil extends past Game 162.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)