Tim Lincecum will be in the NLDS rotation

Oct 1, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT

tim lincecum getty Getty Images

Tim Lincecum has stunk on ice for most of the year, but despite another shaky start yesterday, Bruce Bochy says he likes how Lincecum is throwing lately — he says he’s been progressing — and that it’s not gonna keep him out of the playoff rotation:

That progression has earned Lincecum at least one more start. The right-hander said after Sunday’s game that he has been told he’ll get a postseason start, although he’s not sure about the details.

“I’m okay with anything,” he said. “As long as I can help out the team in any way, that’s all I’m looking for.”

I presume the rotation will go Cain and Bumgarner in the 1-2 slot and then the hot-of-late Zito? So do you put Lincecum ahead of Vogelsong? I probably would, but it’s not the easiest call.

Either way, when Lincecum is on he’s great and the 5+ ERA is all erased for the postseason. But you have to figure he’ll have a short leash.

1. mazblast - Oct 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

No matter how many baseball movies say otherwise, there’s no room for sentiment in the post-season. Unless the Giants are up 3-0, I don’t start Lincecum, and maybe not even then. He simply hasn’t had it for any sustained stretch all year.

• ezthinking - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Is anyone looking at the September performances?

Lincecum 6 starts 3-1 4.63 ERA 1.43 WHIP

Bumgardner 5 starts 2-2 5.47 ERA 1.63 WHIP

Vogelsong 5 starts 2-2 6.46 ERA 1.61 WHIP

Vogelsong had an over 6 ERA in August also. I’d trust Lincecum over Vogi any day.

2. blabidibla - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

The Division series is best of 5. If the Giants are 3-0 they are on to the next round.

JMO, but I see the Giants going Cain, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, and then giving Timmy a start if they are 2-1. If they are 1-2 at that point they go back to Cain.

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Cain and Bumgarner are an easy 1-2 but with how Vogelsong has pitched lately I am not sure I give him the ball in what could be a pivotal game three. As Craig said, and as funny as it may sound, I might go with Zito in that one. Dude has been great lately.

• blabidibla - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Vogelsong has one more scheduled outing on the final day of the season. I guess that game will have some meaning after all. If he looks good, I don’t see how Timmy goes before him.

• blabidibla - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Looks like we were all wrong.

3. thomas2727 - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I am willing to bet Lincecum will start in Game 3 unless there is some weird stat that the opposing team gets owned by Zito or lefties.

If Bochy runs Zito or Vogey who has struggled since early August out there and they get bombed their will be a lot of explaining to do with a 2 time Cy Young Award winner and 2010 Babe Ruth Award winner on the bench.

Lincecum has been respectable in the 2nd half but he just doesn’t look like the Tim that Giants fans have come to expect.

That being said my level of comfort in Zito, Vogey or Lincecum starting in the postseason is pretty low at the moment.

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I should have read your comment before making my own right above it. Whoops.

4. thomas2727 - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM

There not their.

5. thereisaparty - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM

The hot-of-late Zito the same Barry Zito that has a RA/9 of 4.97 during the last two months? How is Lincecum not seen as the better option?

Let Vogelsong and Zito split the fourth start (ideally 3IP each). Try to minimize number of times through the order for both of them.

6. SOBEIT - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Nationals own Lincecum. Would be foolish to give him a start against them…and definitely not in their ballpark.

Reds:
    Cain
    Bum
    Lincecum
    Zito/Voge

Nats:
    Cain
    Bum
    Voge
    Zito/Lincecum

But still have to wait for the Nats and Reds to fight it out for best record in NL.

7. temporarilyexiled - Oct 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Some obvious and not-so-obvious thoughts, based on what I’ve seen throughout the year:

Cain: Can he get all the starts? He’s the only one I believe will continue to dominate. If he doesn’t, it’s going to be a short postseason. But, as much as there’s a temptation, I’m not a fan of short rest.

Bumgarner: He does well at home, and is bad on the road. If possible, don’t pitch him on the road.

Vogelsong: He’ll be good enough to be a third starter. Will he be better than the opposing third starter?

Zito: He’ll be good enough to be a fourth starter. Will he be better than the opposing fourth starter?

Lincecum: Yeah, maybe he does well. But, during the year, if you replace him with pitcher X, where the team wins just as often as with the other four starters, the Giants end up 103-59, and not somewhere between 93-69 and 96-66.

Loyalty schmoyalty.

I’m hoping that Lincecum start we’re discussing only happens once, when the team is leading in a series by at least two wins. And if that doesn’t happen, I don’t think the Giants will worry about the second guessing.

8. simon94022 - Oct 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Vogelsong has recovered nicely over his last couple starts. He has to be ahead of both Lincecum and (especially) Zito.

9. wethog66 - Oct 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I say don’t give Timmy a start in the playoffs until he cuts his hair. The Steve Perry look was played out in the 80′s, even in San Fran.

10. norcaldeportes - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Cain in Game 1, Bumgarner in Game 2, Lincecum in Game 3 (Vogie in for long relief if Timmy struggles early), Zito or Cain again in Game 4 depending on where the series is at.

11. philliesblow - Oct 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

If Bigtime Timmy Jim can’t get himself straightened out it may be time to…….

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet