Zack Greinke pitched in a misspelled “Grienke” jersey

Oct 1, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

greinke wrong jersey

Derek Jeter has MLB’s best-selling jersey and Zack Greinke can’t even get his named spelled correctly on his own jersey.

Seriously.

Greinke took the mound yesterday wearing a jersey that had “GRIENKE” on the back, eventually switching to a correctly spelled version after someone finally noticed midway through the game.

Apparently there were two jerseys in his locker before the game and Greinke randomly grabbed one without realizing it had an error. And then, Greinke being Greinke, when he did realize it during the game he “didn’t care” and only switched because “they wanted me to.”

1. kevinleaptrot - Oct 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM

From the people that brought you the “Natinals” jerseys.

2. hotkarlsandwich - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The Chefs? Great googley moogelly

3. Francisco (FC) - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:25 PM

You know, it occurs to me that would be a great gimmick to ward off the boos. If you’re pitching really bad, change jerseys in between innings, that way folks will think it’s a different guy pitching.

• mrfloydpink - Oct 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Davey Johnson would like to talk to you…

4. kelleydawson - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM

#Barves

5. bjbeliever - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Love the focus, couldn’t be talked into changing it until the wheels started to come off a bit

6. stlouis1baseball - Oct 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I have always admired Zack Greinke’s laid back perspective. For a dude that has struggled with anxiety issues, social issues, etc… it’s really impressive. Personally speaking…there is no way I would have NOT freaked out. For those who are familiar with the series “Monk”…..that is sometimes me.
    In fact, some of my family and friends refer to me as “Monk” on occasion. And I only slight characteristics.
    If it would have been me…I would have had to have gone into the clubhouse and taken a shower.
    And only then would I have switched to the correct Jersey.
    Well done Greinke.

7. cur68 - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM

This should have been Craig’s post. I mean, come on, he just won the Internets last week for his work in “Dog Fister: The Legend of a Write Up On Deadspin” (alternative title “I, Craig Calcaterra, Never Want To Get Laid Again”).

He the Zen Master of the Misspelled BallPlayer Name.

• stex52 - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Although an alternative title, “Colon takes a pounding” on the same website deserved to be in the running.

8. foreverchipper10 - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I can’t help but pronounce the misspelled version in the crocodile hunter voice. Like “croinky”….but instead it is “grienke”. I hope that made sense…..

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:58 PM

It made sense.
      And on another topic…there is absolutely no excuse for missing the Wild Card game Chipper.
      “Last birthday of 20’s” or NOT. You get a damn birthday every year Larry. What do you expect? Presents? A Pony maybe? A board game? It’s the playoffs! Birthday…smirthday.

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I am glad that made sense.

Also, I think I was a bit misleading with that comment. I am not going to miss the game, it just won’t be the focal point of my night. The night has been all planned out by my better half and I don’t know what the plans are. I did tell her that the game is on so wherever we are there needs to be tv’s present.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I hear you. I was really just giving you a hard time about the birthday.
      One of my favorite things to give people a hard time about is their birthday’s (whenever someone makes a big to do about them). As I said…you get one every damn year.
      Enjoy your last days in your 20’s. Once you hit 30…it flies! Hell…I just turned 40.
      We had friends over…threw corn hole…horse shoes…and got shit faced.
      Good times had by all!

• foreverchipper10 - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Having friends over, throwing corn hole and getting shitfaced sounds like a solid evening to me.

9. southpaw2k - Oct 1, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I think it would’ve been even better had the team name across the front been spelled “Angles” with his named misspelled on the back.

10. theaxmancometh - Oct 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

How about now an Albert jersey spelt Pooholes

11. fuddpucker - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:35 AM

Welcome to Atlanta, Grienke.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2495)