Adam Greenberg to get his chance tonight. R.A. Dickey is ready for him.

Oct 2, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Today - Season 61

Adam Greenberg — the man whose sole big league plate appearance resulted in a beaning — is going to un-Moonlight Graham himself in tonight’s Marlins-Mets game.  He won’t start, but Ozzie Guillen said he will pinch hit him at some point in the game, likely when the outcome is not on the line.  Guillen says that, despite both teams being out of it, he is going to manage to win.

R.A. Dickey — the pitcher Greenberg is most likely to face — is playing to win too. Here’s what he says:

“He’s a big leaguer. I’m going to treat him like a big leaguer,” Dickey said. “That’s why he’s here. I would hope he wouldn’t want anything less than that. That’s certainly how I’m going to treat him. So if he comes up, he’s going to get a steady dose of my best. Whatever that is.”

I love the “whatever that is” line.  With Dickey that could be anything from his weird knuckler to his “fastball” to that changeup he whips out every once in a while.  Heck, it could be his powerful, paralyzing, poifect, pachydoimous, percussion pitch.

1. shaggylocks - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Dickey’s going to bean him. I’m calling it now.

• alexo0 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM

In all likelihood Dickey won’t even face him. The pen will be in by then.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM

shaggy: since yours is the first post here to mention it, if Greenberg does get HBP, we’re all coming over to your house to kick you.

• shaggylocks - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM

More than fair. If Greenberg gets HBP I’ll be kicking myself anyway. The more the merrier.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Dickey needs to show the kid just how Old School the NL East is. Welcome to the bigs.

2. mattyflex - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Everything surrounding this story restores a small piece of my faith in humanity.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I dig it too Matt. Good stuff.

• hojo20 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

“Sometimes I see my neighbor walking his dog into my yard and letting it shit there.”

Well pick it up and throw it as him.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

restores your faith in humanity? WTF are you talking about? This guy gets hit in the head and gets another chance to hit a baseball and your faith in humanity is restored?

• paperlions - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Man, brokeass actually said something I agree with….which would do more to restore my faith in humanity than this Greenberg deal (which is cool, but has nothing to do with the current pathetic state humanity)….if it was possible at all to restore something that never existed.

• mattyflex - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Glad you asked “WTF are you talking about?”, because now I get to waste a portion of my day trying to explain what I said in a context you can understand.

Let’s begin with “Everything surrounding this story”. Something very, very unfortunate happened to a young man with life-long aspirations to play Major League Baseball. Something happens to him that has never happened to anyone, ever. I remember watching what happened on ESPN back in 2005. I had just graduated and was bumming around while I waited for job offers to start pouring in. Shortly after, life began to take off for me, and Adam Greenberg was a sad story on a random summer day, and was an afterthought. Obviously, his life went on and his struggles continued.

So seven years later, I read the name Adam Greenberg on Twitter. Whoa, I thought to myself, haven’t thought about him in a while and I hope he is alright. As it turns out, a filmmaker/ Cubs fan is trying to rally the world around this kid’s tragic story. Of course, I was on board. Who wouldn’t be? A complete stranger to Greenberg at the time, getting behind him and starting a movement to get this kid one more at-bat… Tonight will mean the world to Adam Greenberg, even if he strikes out swinging at three pitches.

The way that the baseball community has rallied around Adam Greenberg, and my aforementioned tidbits is “Everything surrounding this story”. Hopefully that’s clear.

Let’s move on to the latter half of my comment, which was “restores a small piece of my faith in humanity”.

I met a man this weekend who swore up and down that the demise of all great civilizations was gay pride movements. I told him I was sorry for whoever was teaching him these things, to which he replied “it’s fact; look it up”. Sometimes I see my neighbor walking his dog into my yard and letting it shit there. People don’t hold doors for people. I once saw an elderly woman slip, fall, and cut her head open across a wal-mart parking lot, and there were people within 10 feet of her that didn’t stop what they were doing; from about 100 yards away I was the first person to reach her. People are selfish people-haters. I hope you realize that this story doesn’t negate every detrimental thing self-serving people do in the world, at least in my mind.

When I hear a heartwarming story, when I see people rallying behind other people, it reminds me that there are people out there that still thrive on compassion. Religious or not, there are people in the world that receive satisfaction in serving others. When I see, hear, or read these stories, not only does it warm my heart, it motivates me to serve others in my life. Understanding that there are people in the world that do not put themselves first is an important lesson that I will teach my children at a very early age. I hope you do the same for yours.

I hope this helps clear up my thought process.

• paperlions - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Matty, we all know that…but within the context of everyday injustice, this story is silly. It isn’t like he was living on the street and the gave him a job and a AB. His life is just fine.

It is a nice story….but it doesn’t approach heart warming for me, it isn’t particularly generous or magnanimous…it won’t make a huge difference in someone’s life like giving them a job or place to live or tuition. It is a cheap publicity stunt.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

My thought process did not need to me cleared up. I stand by my comment that it is a bit over the top to say a small piece of your faith in humanity is restored.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Was that a backhanded compliment paperlion?

• mattyflex - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

With all due respect to both of you, more specifically paperlions who can state his case with eloquence and often raises valid points across HBT; it’s not about what the story means to you, it’s about what the story means to me and how I interpret it.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Sits back in his high backed leather chair surrounded by books(Homers Odyssey is his favorite) in his library with a ivory pipe tucked between his lips brokeass wonders aloud

Why it is so important to mention that he is the only one who went over to pick up the old woman in the parking lot, is he so self-centered and lacking in self-esteem that he needs people to know he has done something he should have done? Does matt also want credit for paying his bills on-time as well, because that is something 98% of us of do as well?

• pinkfloydprism - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Loria is trying to save face, just to shock us all with some sort of fire sale in the off season.

3. Mars Hair - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM

It’s too bad he has to wear that awful hat though.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Yeah…that hat (hell…the entire uniform)…is uglier than sin.
      But I could be forced into overlooking it should an MLB at-bat be at stake.

4. dwrek5 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Don’t wink kid.

• Mr. Furious - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:39 PM

What makes that comment even more awesome is the fact that the pitcher in that scene was called “Knuckles.”

5. bobwheel - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM

“He won’t start, but Ozzie Guillen said he will pinch hit him at some point in the game, likely when the outcome is not on the line.”

And the outcome of this came is of importance to ….?

6. bobwheel - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Correction “game”

7. paperlions - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

If they are going to do this, why not play him the entire game? The results are of no consequence….play the kid all 9 innings.

• paperlions - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Hell, why not let him play all 9 tomorrow too?

• kiwicricket - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM

The Marlins wouldn’t have to pay him, don’t think Loria hasn’t already thought of this!

8. dino1730 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I think anyone who wants to should get an at bat in a meaningless September game.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM

It would certainly make for good comedy.

• jericoc - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Peter Potamus?!

The Marlins were planning to let the 10,000th fan who showed up at tonight’s game pinch hit, but they feared they would not reach that number.

9. makeham98 - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I was born without the physical abilities to ever play major league baseball. Will some team help me overcome this injustice, this travesty, this tragedy and let me be a major leaguer too?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

10. jm91rs - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I seem to remember a story where a minor league team let buck o’neil or some other great former negro leaguer have an at bat, then traded him to the other team so he could have another at bat in the same inning.

Marlins should trade him to the Mets so he can get an extra at bat.

• jericoc - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM

“Marlins should trade him to the Mets so he can get an extra at bat.”

If the Mets wanted to waste an AB they’d just let Jason Bay hit …

11. zhangocracy - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM

The Marlins better give him a Dolphins helmet for his at bat.

12. hardballtalkusername - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t strikeout

13. avietar - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

“Heck, it could be his powerful, paralyzing, poifect, pachydoimous, percussion pitch.”

Thank you, Bugs Calcaterra (is there a game between the Tea Totallers and Gas-House Gorillas today?).

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate