Oct 2, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Tim Hudson was scheduled to start Atlanta’s season finale, but with the Wild Card spot locked up the Braves will rest him for the playoffs and instead turn to Ben Sheets for Game 162 against the Pirates.
Sheets hasn’t pitched since August 24 because of a shoulder injury and told reporters that he’ll retire after tomorrow’s start.
Sheets made a helluva comeback after not pitching in the majors at all last season, starting eight games with a 3.54 ERA for the Braves when they really needed the rotation help, but the 33-year-old right-hander is apparently tired of dealing with the injuries that have repeatedly sidetracked his career.
He’s expected to pitch two innings tomorrow versus Pittsburgh in what will be his 250th career start. Sheets is a four-time All-Star and his strikeout-to-walk ratio of 3.59 is the fourth-best among all active pitchers with at least 1,500 innings behind only Dan Haren, Roy Halladay, and Cliff Lee.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)