Dustin Pedroia is playing tonight despite a broken finger

Oct 2, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT

Dustin Pedroia Reuters Reuters

Dustin Pedroia broke the ring finger on his left hand Sunday, which naturally led to everyone assuming that he’d sit out the final three games of the season.

Instead the former MVP is in the Red Sox’s lineup tonight, playing second base and batting second against the Yankees.

And why is he playing through a broken finger for a last-place team with two games remaining? Peter Gammons quotes him as saying: “I will change the culture.”

I guess that’s admirable, but Pedroia already tried to play through a significant hand injury once this season and ended up hitting .210 in 26 games before the Red Sox finally placed him on the disabled list with a torn thumb muscle. It’s safe to say this has about as much chance of changing the Red Sox’s “culture” as that did.

1. dwrek5 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Tomorrow’s headline in the Globe. Sox playing hurt players to try and screw the Orioles.

• fellspointbird - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM

“Orioles upset with worn down Red Sox, claims Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti, according to those close to him.”

2. vallewho - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM

yeah…my first thought was “why”.

3. geoknows - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM

“I will change the culture.”

Huh? What is that supposed to mean?

• yahmule - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM

If he wanted to change the culture, he would do this without calling attention to himself.

4. El Bravo - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Change culture = change management. Good luck with that.

5. indaburg - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Well, I hope the Orioles are happy now.

6. hitdog042 - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

its code for: I know 80 percent of you are gone but here’s how you play through pain for whoever signs you or trades for you.

7. protius - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM

He has changed my opinion of him.

He still looks like a cockeyed capybara, but he has solid brass balls the size of cantaloupes. He is a leader.

8. bigharold - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I dare say that Pedroia is partly responsible for the culture that envelops the RS currently.

I like he little fella but he should be a little more introspective and realize that he had a hand in creating the culture that he now thinks requires changing. Perhaps he should talk less to the media and more to his teammates?

9. 18thstreet - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

#FreeStrasburg.

10. deathmonkey41 - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

David Ortiz just wants to know how something like this could be happening to a guy like him?

11. pisano - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I hope they trade the little bastard to the NL,( I agree with protius, but only on the capybara part) I never liked the little back stabbing kiss ass. Let the thumbs down begin.

12. edelmanfanclub - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I know it may be lost on the fans and his teammates in a season where we may not get 70 wins, but I am still a fan of Pedroia and I do respect him playing through a broken finger in a meaingless game.

13. greymares - Oct 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM

not meaningless he wants to try to beat the YANKEES and that always has merit.

14. willclarkgameface - Oct 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM

This shit is comedy, Pedroia trying to be all…LEADER-ish.

It just doesn’t work. Where were you April 2011 when the team started off shitty? How about September 2011 when the pitching staff waistline grew larger with every loss they caused and there were more than a few? What about this season when Valentine needed people in his corner and you were busy talking shit and taking stupid pix of him sleeping?

This is lame. Pedroia isn’t a leader. He’s a phoney. I don’t know what he’s trying to prove.

I MAY change my tune if they can put a whipping on the Yankees the next two nights.

• ptfu - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Comedy indeed. You list all these reasons why Pedroia hasn’t been a positive leader…and then you say that the outcome of two games might change your mind? So if some random Red Sox player has a big game, or a Yankee pitcher implodes, that means Pedroia’s a leader? Hah.

Pedroia didn’t become a “phony” overnight, or over two nights. He certainly cannot redeem himself that quickly either. What he CAN do is take the first step on that road, but he cannot reach the destination this season.

15. badintent - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM

“Anyone can talk about about being a leader, but a real leader leads by example”….General Schwarzkopt US. 4 star general

Three legends off to Cooperstown