Oct 2, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Now that the Orioles are headed back to the playoffs for the first time since 1997 fans are coming out of the woodwork and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun wrote an article about some celebrities making their Orioles fandom known.
My favorite was this little tidbit about lifelong Orioles fan Joan Jett:
Jett sent a letter this week to the Orioles that was posted on the bulletin board in the home clubhouse. She wrote about how her dad took her to Memorial Stadium on Aug. 13, 1969, which was the date of Jim Palmer’s no-hitter against the Oakland A’s. She wrote that she’s been taking her iPad on stage and hiding it next to her amp so she can check the Orioles’ scores this year.
For some reason picturing Jett on stage checking to see how Luis Ayala is doing cracks me up, although Connolly also noted that “truthfully most of these Orioles weren’t born when Jett was on top of the music world, but surely the support was much appreciated.”
Also, if you want a peak behind the scenes of HardballTalk … we decided Joan Jett is pretty great.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)