Joan Jett loves the Orioles

Oct 2, 2012, 3:15 PM EST

joan jett

Now that the Orioles are headed back to the playoffs for the first time since 1997 fans are coming out of the woodwork and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun wrote an article about some celebrities making their Orioles fandom known.

My favorite was this little tidbit about lifelong Orioles fan Joan Jett:

Jett sent a letter this week to the Orioles that was posted on the bulletin board in the home clubhouse. She wrote about how her dad took her to Memorial Stadium on Aug. 13, 1969, which was the date of Jim Palmer’s no-hitter against the Oakland A’s. She wrote that she’s been taking her iPad on stage and hiding it next to her amp so she can check the Orioles’ scores this year.

For some reason picturing Jett on stage checking to see how Luis Ayala is doing cracks me up, although Connolly also noted that “truthfully most of these Orioles weren’t born when Jett was on top of the music world, but surely the support was much appreciated.”

Also, if you want a peak behind the scenes of HardballTalk … we decided Joan Jett is pretty great.

1. nategearhart - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I love Joan Jett. And she DID coast on covers for most of the 80’s and 90’s, but she also wrote some damn fine music.

2. ajcardsfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM

UPDATE: Twitter followers have pointed out that we shouldn’t leave actors Robert Pattinson and Paul Rudd off the list.

Paul Rudd’s awesome, but I bet Orioles players would rather people not associate them with Robert Pattinson

3. El Bravo - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I love how RPatz and Paul Rudd were afterthoughts to the article…about Joan Jett…

4. henson58 - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Just saw Joan Jett in concert Friday and she still rocks.

5. southpaw2k - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I hate the idea of having any kind of association with Robert Pattinson.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Not sure what all the Robert Pattinson hate is about. But okay.
      Hell…I had to google the dude to remind myself of who he is.

• El Bravo - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Leave RPatz alone! People backlashed against Di Caprio after Titanic remember? Everyone thought he was such a wuss and only could do teenybopper flicks. Even RPatz can redeem himself…that said, if people like me keep calling him RPatz, he never shall overcome the Twilight movies.

• Old Gator - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM

You need to see Pattinson in Cosmopolis. Terrific, underrated film and he gives a terrific performance. Might not be a bad idea to read the Don DeLillo novel (of which the film is a pretty faithful adaptation) first to get some idea of what’s coming.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

“RPatz.” You might (or might not) be on to something Bravo. “RPatz.” Hahaha!
        But your Twilight reference did explain some of the “RPatz” hate.

So…they think he is gay for doing Twilight? Sorry! Trying to stop.
        So…they think he is a pansie for doing Twilight?
        Pansie does NOT carry the same weight as gay. It just doesn’t!

• El Bravo - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I’ve heard positive things about Cosmopolis, and with your additional hat tip, I may just have to check it out very soon. That’s the thing, he landed a role to fill his pockets for life and I can’t hate on that. Now he can do the flicks he really wants to do, which is pretty much the same trajectory Leo took.

• ajcardsfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I’m not a fan of him because he helped to ruin Vampires (The Twilight series), vampires are supposed to be seductive and evil….not emo teenagers

• El Bravo - Oct 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM

The books did that first. It’s the books I tell ya!

6. hoopmatch - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Joan should write a version of “I Love Rock and Roll” for the Orioles. It should be easy since Baltimore has the same number of syllables as rock and roll. In fact, one or two of you Hardball Talk writers should take up the challenge. Send the lyrics to Joan and wait for the royalty checks to come in.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I dig Or-i-oles, get ‘em in the playoffs, dig it baby!!!!!
      I dig Or-i-oles, want ‘em in the Series, don’t mean maybe!!!!!

(I take Pay Pal) :-)

7. Jeremy T - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Wow, I could’ve sworn this was a Calcaterra article before I read your little exchange from the twitter link.

8. deathmonkey41 - Oct 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

She was probbaly a fan in ’83 too.

9. hoopmatch - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM

How about this one:

I love Baltimore.
    Put another ball in the cheap seats, baby!

That’s all I’ve got.

10. dannythebisforbeast - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Joan Jett still hot!

El bravo kinda strange but I don’t think that Pansy vampire actor is on same playing field as Dicaprio – basketball diaries, what’s eating Gilbert grape and this boys life- before Titanic. He earned his way to titanic loads of cash and poo nanny

11. skerney - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Joan Jett is awesome, she does USO tours for the troops. A few years back I saw her on The O’reilly Factor promoting the USO and Billo was beside himself, he was so psyched to sit with her he was almost giddy. He kept calling her a babe.

12. bigleagues - Oct 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM

DC got that Metro controversy squared away, now the only major Mid-Atlantic baseball question remaining is if the Orioles’ bandwagon is big enough to handle the sudden swell of ‘fandom’

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester