Oct 2, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
It’s bad enough that MLB’s home run records have been tainted by performance-enhancing drugs. Now we have no choice but to wonder exactly what Joey Gathright was on when he was jumping over cars way back when.
MLB announced today that Gathright was suspended for 50 games for amphetamine usage. Yeah, the guy who stole as many as 69 bases in a minor league season was busted for speed.
The 31-year-old Gathright was last seen playing for the independent Bridgeport Bluefish. He also played in 40 games for the Reds’ Triple-A Louisville affiliate earlier this year, hitting .299/.346/.347 in 147 at-bats. His suspension will take effect if he ever signs with an affiliated club in the future.
Gathright was viewed as a very good prospect back in the day. He had no power at all, but he hit .334 and .331 in his first full minor league seasons and then came in at .305/.388/.407 in his first stint in Triple-A as a 24-year-old in 2005. It never translated to the majors, though. In 1,175 major league at-bats, he hit .263/.328/.303 with one homer and 81 steals.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)