Oct 2, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Manager Jim Leyland wanted to make it clear that it was an injury that took place on the field after the Tigers clinched the AL Central and not later after the champagne started flowing.
“Somebody jumping on the pile stepped on his ankle,” Leyland said. “This is legit. This is exactly how it happened.”
Scherzer missed his last start because of shoulder soreness, and the Tigers wanted to get him a few innings tomorrow as a tuneup for the ALDS. Now it appears that he’ll go into the ALDS cold. However, early word is that he will be available to start during the series. If Scherzer can’t go, then Rick Porcello would likely join Justin Verlander, Doug Fister and Anibal Sanchez in the postseason rotation.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)