Oct 2, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
Manager Jim Leyland wanted to make it clear that it was an injury that took place on the field after the Tigers clinched the AL Central and not later after the champagne started flowing.
“Somebody jumping on the pile stepped on his ankle,” Leyland said. “This is legit. This is exactly how it happened.”
Scherzer missed his last start because of shoulder soreness, and the Tigers wanted to get him a few innings tomorrow as a tuneup for the ALDS. Now it appears that he’ll go into the ALDS cold. However, early word is that he will be available to start during the series. If Scherzer can’t go, then Rick Porcello would likely join Justin Verlander, Doug Fister and Anibal Sanchez in the postseason rotation.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)