Oct 2, 2012, 11:23 PM EDT
Rays righty James Shields racked up a franchise-high 15 strikeouts in a complete-game effort Tuesday night at Tropicana Field, but the Orioles were able to squeeze out a 1-0 victory thanks to a fourth-inning Chris Davis home run. It was one of only two hits that the Baltimore offense was able to muster in the game, but it provided all the scoring they would need.
The O’s Miguel Gonzalez was ace-like in his own right, punching out seven batters in 6 1/3 scoreless frames. And Jim Johnson closed it out with an easy ninth inning to earn his league-leading 51st save.
In New York, the Yankees trailed the Red Sox 3-1 entering the bottom of the ninth inning. But pinch-hitter Raul Ibanez hit a two-run homer to tie things up and then drove in Francisco Cervelli in the bottom of the 12th as the Bombers survived a minor scare and maintained their one-game lead in the AL East.
The race comes down to Wednesday. Game 162. In this wacky baseball season, it only seems right.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)