Oct 2, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
For those of you too busy watching football or something silly like that last night, here’s where we stand with two days left in the regular season.
Nine of the ten playoff teams are known: the Yankees, Orioles, Tigers, Rangers and Athletics will represent the American League. The Nationals, Braves, Reds and Giants will represent the National League. The final slot in the NL will come down to the Cardinals and the Dodgers, but more on that in a second. Here’s how it all breaks down:
- The Yankees won and the Orioles lost last night, giving New York a one game advantage in the AL East race with two to play. The loser will be the wild card winner;
- The Athletics beat the Rangers last night, clinching a playoff spot and pulling to within one game of the AL West lead. They play two more head-to-head, with the loser settling for the other wild card slot. The A’s win eliminated both the Angles and the Rays from playoff contention;
- The Tigers win over the Royals gave the AL Central title to Detroit. The White Sox were eliminated from postseason consideration.
- The Nationals lost to Philadelphia, but the Braves loss to Pittsburgh gave Washington the NL East crown. Atlanta will host the wild card game on Friday.
- St. Louis and Los Angeles each won. The Cardinals win clinches at least a tie for the second NL wild card. If they win one of their last two games — or if the Dodgers lose either of their last two — St. Louis will be the wild card representative. If the Cards lose two and the Dodgers win two, it’s a tie, and the teams will play a one-game playoff on Thursday to determine who plays the Braves in the wild card game on Friday.
- The Reds and Giants have already clinched their respective divisions.
Triple Crown and MVP race
Miguel Cabrera homered and went 4 for 5 in last night’s game, giving him sole possession of the home run lead to match his lead in the batting and RBI race. He currently leads Mike Trout — who also had a huge game last night — .329-.325 in the batting title race, has one more home run than Josh Hamilton and ten more RBI than Hamilton.
As far as the MVP implications, the Angels being eliminated from the playoffs may sway a few more voters to go with Cabrera for the MVP than otherwise would. If I had to bet money on it right now, I say that Cabrera will win the MVP whether he wins the triple crown or not.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:51 PM EDT
Ryan Vogelsong will start as scheduled in Game 4 of the World Series against the Royals. Madison Bumgarner will not pitch on short rest.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
The Royals’ bullpen was solid, allowing only two base runners in four innings to preserve Jeremy Guthrie’s win in Game 3 of the World Series against the Giants.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
Brandon Finnegan achieved a rather rare feat with his first appearance of the World Series in Game 3 on Friday night against the Giants.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Cole Hamels is updating his 20-team no-trade list, which will dictate if and how the Phillies shop him over the off-season.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Giants fought back in the bottom of the sixth inning with two runs, making it a one-run game again. The Royals lead 3-2 heading into the seventh inning.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The Royals extended their lead over the Giants to 3-0 thanks to an Alex Gordon RBI double and an Eric Hosmer RBI single in the top of the sixth inning of Game 3 of the World Series.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
The Twins are expected to consider free agent manager Joe Maddon for their managerial vacancy.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
The Royals have a narrow lead through the first three innings of Game 3 of the World Series against the Giants.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Victor Martinez is going to use his monster 2014 season to attempt to get a four-year deal over the off-season.
Bruce Bochy, Dave Righetti have discussed using Madison Bumgarner on short rest if Giants lose Game 3
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Giants have kicked around the idea of using Madison Bumgarner on short rest if they lose Game 3 of the World Series against the Royals.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
No word yet on the exact role Towers would fill in Cincinnati.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Paul Konerko and Jimmy Rollins are your co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
The Royals bullpen is really good. So good, in fact, that you can’t really use it incorrectly, Joe Posnanski writes.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
Being in the World Series hasn’t stopped the Royals from tweaking the margins of their 40-man roster.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Joe Maddon is looking to become at least the second-highest paid manager in baseball.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Jordan pitched well in nine starts for the Nationals as a 24-year-old rookie last season, but then went 0-3 with a 5.61 ERA in five starts this year before being shut down in June.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Joe Maddon is a good manager. But he’s just a manager.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Earlier this week the Cardinals insisted there was nothing wrong with Adam Wainwright’s elbow and he wouldn’t require surgery.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Needs more Pixies. I have no idea which song, but any list needs more Pixies.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
And he wouldn’t wish it on anyone else.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)