Oct 3, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
Alfonso Soriano pulled off quite the rebound this season, hitting .262/.322/.499 with 32 homers and 108 RBI. Still, he’s not sure about his future with the Cubs and he’s weighing retirement once his contract ends, CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney reports.
“It depends how long,” Soriano said when asked if he wants to stay with the Cubs. “If they want to rebuild for next year, I’ll be here. But if they want to take longer than two years, then they have to think about moving me out to another team that can win quickly. I have two more years on the contract and maybe I retire after that. I just want to have one more shot to go to the World Series before I retire.”
Soriano could have had that shot this year, but he said he wasn’t going to waive his no-trade clause when the Giants showed interest in him. He’s believed to prefer the East Coast if traded.
Soriano is still owed another $36 million, and while he seemed rejuvenated this year, there’s no way the Cubs could move him without eating a portion of what he’s owed. It’s something they are willing to do, though. Given the lack of quality corner outfielders available in free agency, there might be a couple of teams interested in taking a chance on Soriano come December or January.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 5
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 28
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)