Oct 3, 2012, 12:04 AM EDT
The Astros, of all teams, recorded their third shutout Tuesday and beat the Cubs 3-0 in the first matchup of 100-loss teams since 1962.
Houston handed the Cubs their 100th loss by winning 3-0 on Monday, setting up the historic matchup. Tonight’s game featured the same score. The Cubs fell to 60-101 for the season, though that still leaves them five games ahead of the 55-106 Astros in the NL Central.
The last time two 100-loss teams met was fifty years ago, when the Cubs played the expansion Mets at the end of the 1962 season. Those Cubs finished 59-103, while the Mets, one of the worst teams of the century, went 40-120.
The Astros also beat the Brewers 7-0 on Sunday, so this gives the team three straight shutouts. Bud Norris did the bulk of the work tonight, pitching six scoreless innings. The Astros are the third team this season to notch three straight shutouts. The Giants did it four games in a row in June, and the Braves did it earlier this month. It’s just the third time in franchise history the Astros have pulled it off. They did it once in 1974 and again in their NLCS year of 1986.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)