Brandon McCarthy could pitch in the postseason

Oct 3, 2012, 9:38 PM EST

brandon mccarthy getty Getty Images

The A’s capturing the American League West this afternoon ensures that they’ll have a decently long postseason run. Which is great news for Brandon McCarthy, who had emergency brain surgery four weeks ago after taking a line drive off his head.

According to beat writer Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News, the righty might be able to return at some point in the playoffs if the A’s go fairly deep. He resumed throwing in late September and hasn’t experienced any sort of headaches or dizziness.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he was able to do that,” A’s manager Bob Melvin told reporters during Wednesday’s AL West championship celebration.

McCarthy, 29, had a 3.24 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 73/24 K/BB ratio in 111 innings before going down.

1. dondada10 - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I would drink his wife’s bath water.

• mgflolox - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I’d walk barefoot all winter just to step in her shit in the spring.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I would also drink her bath water Don.
      But I think flolox has us beat!

2. raysfan1 - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Definitely pulling for him.

3. demolition510 - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Let’s go Oakland!!!

4. APBA Guy - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM

He was there every game of the Texas series, just like Brett Anderson was, talking to the rookies, helping where he could. Class, class act.

5. pisano - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Good for him, God bless him, while I’m a Yankee fan, I said this was the team to be wary of, good pitching and pop in the line up, they could win it all. These playoffs should be a lot of fun.

6. cur68 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I am officially back to hating Mr. Good Looking Tall Ballplayer With The Hot Wife. I hate you, man.

7. stlouis1baseball - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Obviously, it would be wonderful if he could contribute for them.
    But considering the circumstances in which he was hurt…I am thinking they would be okay w/ waiting till’ next year.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester