Oct 3, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The Orioles are going to be playing a one-game playoff of some sort, whether they tie the Yankees for the division lead or whether they lose it today and have to face either Oakland or Texas in the wild card game.
Know what’s nice to have in a one-game playoff? A hot hand. Chris Davis has a hot hand.
Davis hit a homer last night — the only run in the Orioles’ 1-0 win over Tampa Bay — and has now hit homers in six straight games. In that stretch he has seven homers overall and 13 RBI. For the season he’s at .272/.328/.505 with 33 homers and 85 RBI in 558 plate appearances.
There have been a lot of improbabilities in the Orioles’ magical season. Davis stepping into a full-time role for, really, the first time in his career and raking like he has is one of them.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)