Oct 3, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The Orioles are going to be playing a one-game playoff of some sort, whether they tie the Yankees for the division lead or whether they lose it today and have to face either Oakland or Texas in the wild card game.
Know what’s nice to have in a one-game playoff? A hot hand. Chris Davis has a hot hand.
Davis hit a homer last night — the only run in the Orioles’ 1-0 win over Tampa Bay — and has now hit homers in six straight games. In that stretch he has seven homers overall and 13 RBI. For the season he’s at .272/.328/.505 with 33 homers and 85 RBI in 558 plate appearances.
There have been a lot of improbabilities in the Orioles’ magical season. Davis stepping into a full-time role for, really, the first time in his career and raking like he has is one of them.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)