Oct 3, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
The Orioles are going to be playing a one-game playoff of some sort, whether they tie the Yankees for the division lead or whether they lose it today and have to face either Oakland or Texas in the wild card game.
Know what’s nice to have in a one-game playoff? A hot hand. Chris Davis has a hot hand.
Davis hit a homer last night — the only run in the Orioles’ 1-0 win over Tampa Bay — and has now hit homers in six straight games. In that stretch he has seven homers overall and 13 RBI. For the season he’s at .272/.328/.505 with 33 homers and 85 RBI in 558 plate appearances.
There have been a lot of improbabilities in the Orioles’ magical season. Davis stepping into a full-time role for, really, the first time in his career and raking like he has is one of them.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)