Oct 3, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT
Sometimes, when a pitcher throws a gopherball, the announcer says “I bet he wishes he could have that one back.” I imagine the same goes for a broadcaster who used to be a pitcher. David Cone, specifically.
Last night in the bottom of the 11th, Cone, broadcasting for YES Network, was describing an Ichiro Suzuki hit and said “Ichiro … with the choptick” to describe his bat handling abilities. Here’s the video. Watch for that awkward broadcast silence followed in which you just know everyone in the booth and in the satellite truck were grimacing and cringing at one another. Good times!
This story about it says “the remark caused an outcry from fans on social media.” Which, OK, but I scrolled back on my baseball-fan-and-watcher-heavy Twitter feed from last night and I didn’t see an “outcry.” I saw a lot of people say stuff like “oooh, Coney, that wasn’t good,” but no “outcry.”
I mean, gosh, even overly-sensitive liberal weenies like me acknowledge that sometimes stuff happens. At least I hope so.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17