Oct 3, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT
Sometimes, when a pitcher throws a gopherball, the announcer says “I bet he wishes he could have that one back.” I imagine the same goes for a broadcaster who used to be a pitcher. David Cone, specifically.
Last night in the bottom of the 11th, Cone, broadcasting for YES Network, was describing an Ichiro Suzuki hit and said “Ichiro … with the choptick” to describe his bat handling abilities. Here’s the video. Watch for that awkward broadcast silence followed in which you just know everyone in the booth and in the satellite truck were grimacing and cringing at one another. Good times!
This story about it says “the remark caused an outcry from fans on social media.” Which, OK, but I scrolled back on my baseball-fan-and-watcher-heavy Twitter feed from last night and I didn’t see an “outcry.” I saw a lot of people say stuff like “oooh, Coney, that wasn’t good,” but no “outcry.”
I mean, gosh, even overly-sensitive liberal weenies like me acknowledge that sometimes stuff happens. At least I hope so.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (93)