Despite shot at strikeout record, Brewers scratch Yovani Gallardo

Oct 3, 2012, 12:29 AM EDT

Yovani Gallardo Getty Images

Brewers pitchers are nine strikeouts away from topping the 2003 Cubs for the most in major league history with 1,404. It’s apparently not something worth striving for, however. They’ve opted to scratch Yovani Gallardo from his scheduled start Wednesday against the Padres.

There’s nothing wrong with Gallardo, the team’s lone 200-strikeout guy. All indications are that the Brewers just figure he’s pitched enough this year and there’s no sense running him out there with nothing to play for.

Gallardo has made 33 starts and thrown 204 innings this year. He threw 207 1/3 innings in the regular season last year and 19 more in the playoffs, so it’s not as though he’d be setting any new precedents by making another start.

With Gallardo out of the mix, the Brewers are expected to go with a bullpen day and use several relievers to get through the finale against San Diego. Perhaps they’ll get the nine strikeouts anyway. They’ve averaged 8.67 strikeouts per game this season.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I’m not mad about this but I don’t get the point of it. It’s one more start and then he can rest for 3 months or however long he rests after a season. And nice to give the fans what they want to see for paying to see the last game of the season, a bunch of relievers who sucked all year or some rookies who’s talent can’t be based on this game.

2. cnbweb - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Seriously, you are mad because they are scratching Yo? Please do us all a favor and show your true colors by changing your name to CubsFan54 as you are not a true Brewer fan.

#WarRyanBraunMVP2012

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 3, 2012 at 6:28 AM

That doesn’t even make sense. So a better job than that if you’re going to try and tell me how weon I am.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I like how you followed “That doesn’t even make sense” with gibberish.

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Yeah i should have proofread a little better. It should have read do a better job than that if you’re going to tell me how wrong I am. The point being there’s nothing wrong about me wanting the Brewers to field the best team possible on the last day of the season even when they have no playoff hopes.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM

And I have no idea how being mad they scratched Yo makes me a Cubs fan.

4. cnbweb - Oct 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Take the Harry Carey glasses off CubsFan54! They are going to give our best pitcher one less game this year. Did you see what happened to Ryan Howard last year? There are a ton of injuries that happen the last week of the season in a game that doesn’t matter. Although, since your team lost 100 games this year I can see why you are trolling Brewer posts and complaining.

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Sorry, you haven’t convinced me.

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM

While we’re at it, other than Howard name me all these players who have gotten injured in the last meaningless game of the year.

• wretchu - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM

And last year Wainwright got injured in a meaningless spring training game. What’s your point? Players have been injuried walking around hotel rooms and carrying groceries for crying out loud.

You’re talking as if he plays in the final game this year, he’ll need Tommy John and be out all of next year, but if he sits, he’ll be perfectly fine.

5. mvp43 - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I will be at the game tonight and would’ve liked to see Yo pitch for this record….oh well

Three legends off to Cooperstown