Oct 3, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Max Scherzer was scratched from tonight’s scheduled start after injuring his ankle in the division-winning celebration Monday, but apparently he woke up this morning feeling a whole lot better.
Jim Leyland has changed plans, deciding to start Scherzer against the Royals after all, and Miguel Cabrera is also in the Tigers’ lineup at third base instead of taking the game off to preserve his batting average lead in the Triple Crown pursuit.
It’ll be a key start for Scherzer, because even before hurting his ankle celebrating he was a question mark for the playoffs due to lingering shoulder problems. He’s thrown just seven innings and 124 pitches in the past 20 days.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 23
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)