Oct 3, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Max Scherzer was scratched from tonight’s scheduled start after injuring his ankle in the division-winning celebration Monday, but apparently he woke up this morning feeling a whole lot better.
Jim Leyland has changed plans, deciding to start Scherzer against the Royals after all, and Miguel Cabrera is also in the Tigers’ lineup at third base instead of taking the game off to preserve his batting average lead in the Triple Crown pursuit.
It’ll be a key start for Scherzer, because even before hurting his ankle celebrating he was a question mark for the playoffs due to lingering shoulder problems. He’s thrown just seven innings and 124 pitches in the past 20 days.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (196)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)