Oct 3, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Max Scherzer was scratched from tonight’s scheduled start after injuring his ankle in the division-winning celebration Monday, but apparently he woke up this morning feeling a whole lot better.
Jim Leyland has changed plans, deciding to start Scherzer against the Royals after all, and Miguel Cabrera is also in the Tigers’ lineup at third base instead of taking the game off to preserve his batting average lead in the Triple Crown pursuit.
It’ll be a key start for Scherzer, because even before hurting his ankle celebrating he was a question mark for the playoffs due to lingering shoulder problems. He’s thrown just seven innings and 124 pitches in the past 20 days.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)