Miguel Cabrera wins first Triple Crown since 1967

Oct 3, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT

miguel cabrera triple crown getty Getty Images

Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera entered tonight’s season finale against the Royals ranking first in the American League in batting average, homers and runs batted in. And that’s right where he’ll finish.

Cabrera went 0-for-2 with a strikeout on Wednesday night in Kansas City, but he walked off the field to a standing ovation from the Kauffman Stadium crowd when he was lifted as part of a double-switch in the bottom of the fourth inning. Because he had just locked up MLB’s first Triple Crown since 1967.

Cabrera winds up with a .330 batting average, 44 home runs and 139 RBI.

Carl Yastrzemski, the last Triple Crown winner, hit .326 with 44 homers and 121 RBI in his historical year.

The Angels’ Mike Trout will close out 2012 ranking second in batting at .326. Josh Hamilton and Curtis Granderson will wind up tied for second in dingers with 43. And Hamilton finishes second in RBI with 128.

Cabrera and the Tigers now advance to the ALDS, where they’ll take on the A’s beginning Saturday.

1. beaverdam21 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I was 10 in ’67 and vividly remember thinking well that’s nice; probably be 3 or 4 yrs before anybody does it again. The man above is right – the passage of time is the only way to truly appreciate the significance. As a mild Tigers fan, also glad they have in some fashion overcome the loss of Granderson, which I thought might have knocked them down several rungs. BRAVO!

2. mungman69 - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Way to go. MVP

3. dcdebacle - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:37 AM

is nobody else even a little ticked off that Cabrera didnt finish the game? Ted Williams sure wouldnt like it. Awesome season for miggy, truly historic, but him coming out after going 0-2 really puts a damper on it for me.

• themerlo - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Ted Williams also didn’t play in 160 games – which Miggy did. Triple Crows back then were earned during a shorter season in case you don’t know your baseball history.

besides, No reason for him to play a complete game and risk injury before a playoff game. Keep in mind he took a baseball off his eye this year and hurt his ankle. What left does he need to prove?

• geoknows - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I was watching the game; it was the middle of an inning and it was clear that he very much did NOT want to come out. It was Leyland’s call, not his.

4. uyf1950 - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Congratulation to Miguel Cabrera on his accomplishment of winning the AL Triple Crown.

I do have one bone to pick with the headline on the piece and I’ll admit before hand it’s just my personal gripe. While Yaz was awarded the Triple Crown in 1967 I do NOT believe he won it. My understanding is a player has to lead the league in BA, RBI’s and HR’s. Yaz did NOT lead the American League in home runs he tied Harmon Killebrew with 44. In my book tying is NOT leading. Like I said that’s just my personal grip with Yaz’s 1967 AL Triple Crown award.

Again congratulation to Cabrera on truly winning the AL Triple Crown.

5. xjokerz - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:42 AM

MVP

6. massivedick - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM

As a HUGE Tiger and Miggy fan you gotta give some love to the KC players and fans for giving him a standing O when he was pulled. Classy.

7. wingsrule12 - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Trout had a better year? Are you and Jason Stark drinking the same kool aid? You take Trout off the Angels they finish 3rd at best (which is where they finished). Take Miggy away from Detriot they finish 4th in that division. That to me is MVP

• themerlo - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Not to mention Trout didn’t switch from 1st to 3rd which is a huge move. Its enough to worry about the change is defense, but to put up those type of numebrs on top of it is amazing.

Trout is a mazing, no question, but without Miggy the Tigers wouldn’t have competed for a playoff spot.

8. stlouis1baseball - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Outstanding! Something we may never see happen again.
    Great season Miguel Cabrera!

9. thraiderskin - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I want to know, what are MLB fans going to do if they don’t make Cabrera the MVP? To me, that would be a travesty to the game, I’m not sure I could ever again take the award very seriously…

10. dino1730 - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Congrats to Miguel Carbrea, by far the best hitter in and run producer in baseball. Ted Williams won the triple crown twice, and was not the MVP one of those years because Dimaggio’s team won the pennant. This would be a travesty if he did not win the MVP. Hats off to Mike Trout on a tremendous season and certainly has at least 1 MVP in his future, but Cabrera is the best hitter in the game, and hitting is the certainly the hardest aspect of baseball.

Orioles turn AL East on its head