Oct 3, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Minutes after their season came to an end with a 5-1 loss the Phillies announced that three members of manager Charlie Manuel’s coaching staff will not be back in 2013.
Bench coach Pete Mackanin, hitting coach Greg Gross, and first base coach Sam Perlozzo have all been let go, while pitching coach Rich Dubee and third base coach Juan Samuel will apparently stay on the staff.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Triple-A manager Ryne Sandberg is expected to get a promotion to join Manuel’s staff, although his likely role is unclear.
Philadelphia briefly got back into the Wild Card hunt following a brutal start, but finished 81-81 to snap a nine-season streak of winning records that dates back to Larry Bowa as manager.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 83
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)