Oct 3, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Minutes after their season came to an end with a 5-1 loss the Phillies announced that three members of manager Charlie Manuel’s coaching staff will not be back in 2013.
Bench coach Pete Mackanin, hitting coach Greg Gross, and first base coach Sam Perlozzo have all been let go, while pitching coach Rich Dubee and third base coach Juan Samuel will apparently stay on the staff.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Triple-A manager Ryne Sandberg is expected to get a promotion to join Manuel’s staff, although his likely role is unclear.
Philadelphia briefly got back into the Wild Card hunt following a brutal start, but finished 81-81 to snap a nine-season streak of winning records that dates back to Larry Bowa as manager.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)