Oct 3, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that Pirates hitting coach Gregg Ritchie will not return for 2013 and will instead take a job as the new head coach at his alma mater, George Washington University.
Ritchie has spent seven years in the Pirates’ organization and was promoted to hitting coach in November of 2010. In two seasons under his coaching Pittsburgh’s offense has ranked 10th and 14th in the 16-team National League.
Brink notes that Ritchie denied rumors that he was leaving the Pirates to take the GW job back in August. Good thing, too, or else maybe the Pirates would have been distracted and their performance would have suffered down the stretch or something.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17