Oct 3, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that Pirates hitting coach Gregg Ritchie will not return for 2013 and will instead take a job as the new head coach at his alma mater, George Washington University.
Ritchie has spent seven years in the Pirates’ organization and was promoted to hitting coach in November of 2010. In two seasons under his coaching Pittsburgh’s offense has ranked 10th and 14th in the 16-team National League.
Brink notes that Ritchie denied rumors that he was leaving the Pirates to take the GW job back in August. Good thing, too, or else maybe the Pirates would have been distracted and their performance would have suffered down the stretch or something.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)