Oct 3, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that Pirates hitting coach Gregg Ritchie will not return for 2013 and will instead take a job as the new head coach at his alma mater, George Washington University.
Ritchie has spent seven years in the Pirates’ organization and was promoted to hitting coach in November of 2010. In two seasons under his coaching Pittsburgh’s offense has ranked 10th and 14th in the 16-team National League.
Brink notes that Ritchie denied rumors that he was leaving the Pirates to take the GW job back in August. Good thing, too, or else maybe the Pirates would have been distracted and their performance would have suffered down the stretch or something.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27