Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
R.A. Dickey is a good bet to win the N.L. Cy Young Award. Turns out he’s been doing it with an abdominal tear since May:
After his final start of the season Tuesday night against the Marlins, Dickey revealed that he pitched virtually the entire season with an abdominal tear that will require offseason surgery. With the Mets surging in the first half, and his storybook season on the line, Dickey prayed with his wife that the injury wouldn’t cut his year short.
He was maintaining pretty well, but he says he aggravated it last night. He’ll have surgery in the offseason. It shouldn’t interfere with him being ready for spring training.
Just in case Cy Young voters wanted a little more storyline to go with their vote.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)