Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
R.A. Dickey is a good bet to win the N.L. Cy Young Award. Turns out he’s been doing it with an abdominal tear since May:
After his final start of the season Tuesday night against the Marlins, Dickey revealed that he pitched virtually the entire season with an abdominal tear that will require offseason surgery. With the Mets surging in the first half, and his storybook season on the line, Dickey prayed with his wife that the injury wouldn’t cut his year short.
He was maintaining pretty well, but he says he aggravated it last night. He’ll have surgery in the offseason. It shouldn’t interfere with him being ready for spring training.
Just in case Cy Young voters wanted a little more storyline to go with their vote.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)