Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
R.A. Dickey is a good bet to win the N.L. Cy Young Award. Turns out he’s been doing it with an abdominal tear since May:
After his final start of the season Tuesday night against the Marlins, Dickey revealed that he pitched virtually the entire season with an abdominal tear that will require offseason surgery. With the Mets surging in the first half, and his storybook season on the line, Dickey prayed with his wife that the injury wouldn’t cut his year short.
He was maintaining pretty well, but he says he aggravated it last night. He’ll have surgery in the offseason. It shouldn’t interfere with him being ready for spring training.
Just in case Cy Young voters wanted a little more storyline to go with their vote.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)