Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
R.A. Dickey is a good bet to win the N.L. Cy Young Award. Turns out he’s been doing it with an abdominal tear since May:
After his final start of the season Tuesday night against the Marlins, Dickey revealed that he pitched virtually the entire season with an abdominal tear that will require offseason surgery. With the Mets surging in the first half, and his storybook season on the line, Dickey prayed with his wife that the injury wouldn’t cut his year short.
He was maintaining pretty well, but he says he aggravated it last night. He’ll have surgery in the offseason. It shouldn’t interfere with him being ready for spring training.
Just in case Cy Young voters wanted a little more storyline to go with their vote.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)