Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
R.A. Dickey is a good bet to win the N.L. Cy Young Award. Turns out he’s been doing it with an abdominal tear since May:
After his final start of the season Tuesday night against the Marlins, Dickey revealed that he pitched virtually the entire season with an abdominal tear that will require offseason surgery. With the Mets surging in the first half, and his storybook season on the line, Dickey prayed with his wife that the injury wouldn’t cut his year short.
He was maintaining pretty well, but he says he aggravated it last night. He’ll have surgery in the offseason. It shouldn’t interfere with him being ready for spring training.
Just in case Cy Young voters wanted a little more storyline to go with their vote.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 58
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 52
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)