Oct 3, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
It sure sounds like the Indians’ next manager will be either Terry Francona or Sandy Alomar, as Alomar is currently holding the interim job following Manny Acta’s firing and Francona is coming in for an interview Friday.
In terms of managerial experience they can’t get much different, because this is Alomar’s first gig and Francona has 1,029 wins and a pair of championships. And he also has Alomar’s respect, as the interim manager praised Francona when asked about the competition:
I don’t have the resume that Terry has. Obviously, that’s a slam dunk. Geez, I wish I had that. As a player, maybe I did. But as a coach? He has an unbelievable resume. Obviously, anybody would want a Terry Francona. I’m just going to go out there and do what I have to do and let the rest take care of itself.
Who wouldn’t want a guy like that? He has everything. He has championships. He’s a great guy. He’s a great communicator. He’s the perfect guy to have; I’m not going to hide it. I’m not going to say I’m already a slam dunk, because I’m not. Nobody owes me anything. That’s always been the approach in my life.
This is purely speculation, of course, but it sure seems like Francona is the Indians’ first choice and Alomar is the pre-approved fallback option in case negotiations stall over money or something else. In the meantime Francona may want to consider hiring Alomar as his agent, because praise doesn’t get a whole more more effusive than that.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 37
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)