Oct 3, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
It sure sounds like the Indians’ next manager will be either Terry Francona or Sandy Alomar, as Alomar is currently holding the interim job following Manny Acta’s firing and Francona is coming in for an interview Friday.
In terms of managerial experience they can’t get much different, because this is Alomar’s first gig and Francona has 1,029 wins and a pair of championships. And he also has Alomar’s respect, as the interim manager praised Francona when asked about the competition:
I don’t have the resume that Terry has. Obviously, that’s a slam dunk. Geez, I wish I had that. As a player, maybe I did. But as a coach? He has an unbelievable resume. Obviously, anybody would want a Terry Francona. I’m just going to go out there and do what I have to do and let the rest take care of itself.
Who wouldn’t want a guy like that? He has everything. He has championships. He’s a great guy. He’s a great communicator. He’s the perfect guy to have; I’m not going to hide it. I’m not going to say I’m already a slam dunk, because I’m not. Nobody owes me anything. That’s always been the approach in my life.
This is purely speculation, of course, but it sure seems like Francona is the Indians’ first choice and Alomar is the pre-approved fallback option in case negotiations stall over money or something else. In the meantime Francona may want to consider hiring Alomar as his agent, because praise doesn’t get a whole more more effusive than that.
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 0
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (122)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)