Oct 3, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
It sure sounds like the Indians’ next manager will be either Terry Francona or Sandy Alomar, as Alomar is currently holding the interim job following Manny Acta’s firing and Francona is coming in for an interview Friday.
In terms of managerial experience they can’t get much different, because this is Alomar’s first gig and Francona has 1,029 wins and a pair of championships. And he also has Alomar’s respect, as the interim manager praised Francona when asked about the competition:
I don’t have the resume that Terry has. Obviously, that’s a slam dunk. Geez, I wish I had that. As a player, maybe I did. But as a coach? He has an unbelievable resume. Obviously, anybody would want a Terry Francona. I’m just going to go out there and do what I have to do and let the rest take care of itself.
Who wouldn’t want a guy like that? He has everything. He has championships. He’s a great guy. He’s a great communicator. He’s the perfect guy to have; I’m not going to hide it. I’m not going to say I’m already a slam dunk, because I’m not. Nobody owes me anything. That’s always been the approach in my life.
This is purely speculation, of course, but it sure seems like Francona is the Indians’ first choice and Alomar is the pre-approved fallback option in case negotiations stall over money or something else. In the meantime Francona may want to consider hiring Alomar as his agent, because praise doesn’t get a whole more more effusive than that.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 21
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 16
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)