Oct 3, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
It sure sounds like the Indians’ next manager will be either Terry Francona or Sandy Alomar, as Alomar is currently holding the interim job following Manny Acta’s firing and Francona is coming in for an interview Friday.
In terms of managerial experience they can’t get much different, because this is Alomar’s first gig and Francona has 1,029 wins and a pair of championships. And he also has Alomar’s respect, as the interim manager praised Francona when asked about the competition:
I don’t have the resume that Terry has. Obviously, that’s a slam dunk. Geez, I wish I had that. As a player, maybe I did. But as a coach? He has an unbelievable resume. Obviously, anybody would want a Terry Francona. I’m just going to go out there and do what I have to do and let the rest take care of itself.
Who wouldn’t want a guy like that? He has everything. He has championships. He’s a great guy. He’s a great communicator. He’s the perfect guy to have; I’m not going to hide it. I’m not going to say I’m already a slam dunk, because I’m not. Nobody owes me anything. That’s always been the approach in my life.
This is purely speculation, of course, but it sure seems like Francona is the Indians’ first choice and Alomar is the pre-approved fallback option in case negotiations stall over money or something else. In the meantime Francona may want to consider hiring Alomar as his agent, because praise doesn’t get a whole more more effusive than that.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)