The MLBPA stands up for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra union

Oct 3, 2012, 11:00 AM EST

MLBPA logo

One of the things I noticed during that whole referee lockout in the NFL was how the football player’s union wasn’t exactly vocal in supporting the refs. You’d hope that one union in an industry would support, at least in some way, another union in the same industry. It doesn’t always happen, but labor folks will tell you that it sure helps.

I don’t remember what the MLBPA did several years ago when the baseball umpires had their run-in with the league. But it certainly seems now that the players union is walking the walk when it comes to labor strife involving units representing what might be referred to as talent.

From the Atlanta Symphony Musicians webpage:

source:

Thanks to Jess for the heads up.

1. Marty - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM

First, I think union solidarity is a fantasy. But even still, using unions members who make between 6 and 8 figures to make a statement about “labor” is beyond foolish.

• historiophiliac - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Why is that foolish? I think it’s a lot of labor leaders’ dream come true.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I went too heavy on the sugar this morning Philiac.
        Coupled with not having the best of days today…it makes me want to bitch about something.
        Sorry Man. I will try to tone it down.

• stex52 - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Why? It’s not like their jobs are very secure. A few of them get very rich and stay a long time. Most don’t.

• historiophiliac - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I thought his point was about how much they made rather than job security.

• stex52 - Oct 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Job security is virtually always an issue with unions. In recent years, you will note numerous cases where large unions ceded salary and other benefits in order to maintain jobs.

• historiophiliac - Oct 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Of course it’s an issue with unions, but that was not his argument. I was not discussing unions in general; I wanted to know why he thought the solidarity of well-rewarded employees was a bad approach. For him, their high pay seemed to be a problem and it was unclear to me why.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 3, 2012 at 3:59 PM

“In recent years, you will note numerous cases where large unions ceded salary and other benefits in order to maintain jobs.”
        Do tell Suze. I mean that sincerely. Cause’ in Indiana…just the opposite is happening.
        Case in point…a GM Stamping plant in Indy was on the verge of closing.
        Literally…they were at the 11th hour.
        An independent Businessman approached w/ an offer to buy the plant and continue the operations.
        One primary stipend:
        Pay had to drop from an average of $18.00 per hour to $15.00 per hour.
        Guess what happened?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Marty…the irony of the labor leaders (i.e. MANAGEMENT) drawing 6 figure incomes and complaining about Owners, Directors and Management is lost on a lot of people.

• historiophiliac - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Except labor leaders are limited by the votes of their members. I don’t think that was sugar, Woodpecker. ha ha I’m not hating. Get all cranked up. If it makes your day any better, you will probably see a triple crown today. Go Miggy!

2. historiophiliac - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Waiting for the GOP to come out on this one like they did with the NFL refs…

3. fearlessleader - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:20 AM

There’s plenty of legitimate carping to be done about this, and I do wish the MLBPA would figure out the difference between hyphens and em-dashes…but as a conductor whose “other” passion is baseball, I couldn’t help being totally giddy over this intersection of my two worlds when it appeared a few days ago. (I’m a little confused about why they singled out Atlanta, though, when so many major symphony orchestras are undergoing similar struggles these days. Is there some sort of back-room deal to use the magical power of music to ensure that the Braves don’t blow it this year?)

• 4cornersfan - Oct 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM

And the proper use (or overuse) of quotations. Also, are violinists all lefties? They need to use some of that money from player’s dues to provide some training in English composition to Mr. Weiner.

4. Ben - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Hope they stand up with the Minneapolis Symphony too, who have been locked out by management.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Yes. And the Chicago Teachers Union. And the Fire Fighters Union. And the Police Departments Union. And the Cole Miners Union. And the Hod Carriers Union…the Laborers Union…the Sheet Metal Workers Union…the Auto Workers Union, the Steelworkers Union in Gary, IN…
      ALL the unions in the World.
      Those slimy, greasy, money hungry, greedy Management types. The Nerve!
      Let’s revolt. DOWN WITH MANAGEMENT!

• historiophiliac - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM

What are you drinking this morning, Woodpecker? You’re all fired up.

5. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I heard that after today, something like 20 teams are going to stop playing baseball until this labor dispute gets resolved. Or spring. Whichever comes first.

But nice show of solidarity!

6. sdelmonte - Oct 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I like this. But I also get why the NFLPA was pretty quiet. They didn’t have the option of any sort of labor stoppage under the terms of their CBA. And the adversarial relationship between players and refs probably stood in the way of anything more than the sternly worded letters and disorganized anger about the replacements. The players wanted the real refs back, right up to the moment they WERE back. Then it was back to the usual.

7. Brian Donohue - Oct 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Sad to say, most “fans” can no longer discern amateur from professional in that realm (watch a minute or two of this and tell me you just knew it was a high school orchestra). When audiences become careless about quality, those holding the purse-strings that fund it will tighten their grip proportionally. In Europe it’s still a very different story: in Berlin, audiences will tell you that their new oboist is the Bryce Harper of oboe players (um, maybe not in exactly those terms), and understand exactly what they mean.

Maybe part of the problem is that these people have been forced to the peripheries of their culture. A half century or so ago in America, that Disney film featuring the classical music soundtrack and Bernstein’s West Side Story were vastly popular, so concert halls were filled regularly and musicians of all kinds knew their roots (I could write a long list of 60’s and 70’s rockers who were classically trained and influenced). Today, it’s as if some musical NFL has risen and…well, I don’t want to be bleak about, we’ll see how it plays out.

8. blacksables - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Why doesn’t the union provide a sizeable donation to the members of the orchestra to get them through these times?

Or is hyperbole free?

9. pilonflats - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

The playoffs are about to start, and once again HBT decides that politics are more important than the game. You need to start another site that deals with politics and their influence on sports. Personally, I’d reather focus on baseball and I’m very happy the Giants made the postseason.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

This site has posted this sort of thing since before you were ever reading it and my baseball blogging before this site was launched included this sort of thing as well. It always will. If you have a problem with that, you probably need to examine what you’re doing here in the first place. Or are you the sort of person who goes to McDonald’s and complains that they have Filet-o-Fish on the menu too?

If none of that makes any sense to you, I’d recommend that you read one of the other 35-40 posts we do a day about baseball and skip the ones that quite clearly, based on the headline, deal with topics that upset you.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM

On point Craig. Obviously, my political views differ with 95% of my HBT counterparts.
        But I don’t consider that a bad thing. Discussion/debating/conversation is always a good thing. It helps me get a complete grip on the total lack of a grip you guys have with regards to politics. I joke…I joke…I joke. Mostly.

• pilonflats - Oct 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM

sorry to disappoint you, but ive been following this site and PFT since their very beginnings. I don’t really see how you blogging about politics before has anything to do with this site. If you blogged about flowers before, would that work its way into being a major topic for this site? Horrible Mcdonalds analogy btw. I better one would be if someone went to mcdonalds and had to deal with the cashier railing about politics instead of taking my order for filet o fish. im sorry you dont get this.

10. b453841l - Oct 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

What is up with the dash/hyphen usage? Every paragraph has one or both of them used improperly. At the very least, Weiner should be able to consistently use them the wrong way…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester