Curt Schilling lists bloody sock as bankruptcy collateral

Oct 4, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

Schilling bloody sock

I swear this isn’t something from “The Onion.”

Curt Schilling’s video game company, 38 Studios, filed for bankruptcy in June and now the Associated Press reports that their recent bank filing with the Massachusetts Secretary of State includes his infamous blood-stained sock from the 2004 playoffs as collateral.

Schilling and his company owe millions and millions of dollars, so it’s a little tough to imagine a bloody sock making much of an impact, but in theory at least he might be forced to sell the sock along with a bunch of other memorabilia in his personal collection.

According to the Boston Herald, Schilling also recently put his 26-acre, 20-room home in Massachusetts on the market for $3.45 million after buying it from former Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe in 2004. They previously tried to sell the place for $8 million back in 2007.

1. sabatimus - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM

BAHAHAAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAAAHA

2. deathmonkey41 - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Wasn’t the ketchup sock..I mean bloody sock from the ALCS and not the World Series?

• bigharold - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Facts, .. really?

3. Stiller43 - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I thought i heard something around the time that it was actually medicine (i guess some kind of cream?) for his ankle, and not really (at least all) blood…

Not sure who would make a red skin cream or if i heard correctly, but i do remember hearing something like that.

• cur68 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Only story I ever heard was stitches to keep a tendon in place. Never heard anything about a cream. Besides, that looks like a blood stain to me and I don’t know of any cream, or any substance really, that stains like blood.

• deathmonkey41 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Cream of Blood soup?

• cur68 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM

With croutons? I like croutons. Damn I’m hungry.

• nygiantstones - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Iodine?

• uyf1950 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

You could have had a V-8

4. pinkfloydprism - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I bet he gets ID-10T errors on his computer all the time.

5. openseason51 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Another one bites dust!

6. willclarkgameface - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Schilling is a fucking idiot.

What is he going to do, put the sock up for sale so that he can pay the 400+ workers he had to lay off due to his mismanagement?

When the bubble of the dream pops and REAL shit goes down like this, it makes the game seem exactly that: a game. This guy and his minion have ruined the lives of so many people.

I hope he rots in hell.

• willclarkgameface - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

And as an aside, I’m from Boston and was seriously rooting for the Sox in 2004 and rooting hard probably until they turned the team into a borefest in 2007 (yes, even though they won again…that team was BORING).

While, yes, he helped that team, he’s a loud mouthed, arrogant prick. The real shit hit the fan and he had a heavy hand in it.

So again – fuck ‘em.

• kkolchak - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Yep–karma’s a bitch.

• bw1980 - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Curt Schilling, job creator.

7. daisycutter1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Fellow Yankee fans…if Schilling is forced to sell this “asset” also, we need to pool our money to buy it and get it tested to determine whatever that red dye/ketchup/cream really was

Then, we burn it in a trash can under a Bronx expressway overpass.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I’m in.

• badintent - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I ‘m all in.Here’s my 2 cents for the buy in.

• bw1980 - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Maybe it’s the same substance the Yankees choked on.

8. dano1262 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Might want to get that blood tested for “douchebagitis”

9. xmatt0926x - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Yeah, it’s tough to feel bad for the guy. I keep thinking of the employees who were relocated to work for his company under the promise that their old homes would be sold, only to find out when the company folded that they now had two mortgages in their name. Then there was the pregnant woman who found out at the Doctors office that her insurance was cancelled without her knowledge. I can’t root for Schilling’s demise but I won’t feel sorry that he’s taking it up the ass now either.

• kkolchak - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Too bad they declined to press charges or he might be literally taking it up the ass.

10. bigbamboom1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM

How long do you think it wil take for Shill to attempt a comeback as a long relief pitcher? I say as soon as his bankruptcy risks are gone. Like next year. Just look at Clemens for reference.

11. sharkcity408 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Willclark is Bignant. Schilling tried to chase a dream. Good for him. I feel bad it blew up in his face. It was a GREAT game. Too bad

• kkolchak - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yeah, but when you screw over your employees like that, it isn’t just “your dream” that is at issue anymore.

12. psousa1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

He claims he put 50 million of his own money into it. If you have 50 million WTF do you need to invest it in a f-ing video game company? Two things: that industry changes 3 times a year. A little guy, which he was in that business, cannot compete. Also if I had 50 mil – I would never work a friggin day in my life. I feel for his family. A real shame. Wish he was wildly successful.

13. juanhughjazz - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

you misspelled ketchup

14. bbk1000 - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I thought the sock was in Cooperstown? I didn’t realize they accepted loaned items, I thought they only accepted donated items, meaning you lose the rights to take it back.

15. diamondmo33 - Oct 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Another broke a$$ idiot

16. blabidibla - Nov 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ri-sues-schilling-over-38-164842576–spt.html This story will not die.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS