Davey Johnson left yesterday’s game after losing feeling in his leg

Oct 4, 2012, 8:53 AM EST

Washington Nationals v Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Getty Images

Davey Johnson was out of managing for several years, in part because of health problems. So whenever you see something related to his health, you tend to pay a bit more attention. Like yesterday, when Johnson left the Nationals dugout in the seventh inning after losing feeling in his left leg.

CSNWashington reports that it’s apparently related to lower back problems he’s been suffering and he’s apparently fine and doesn’t plan to miss any time.  Still, a little scary.

1. kkolchak - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Love Davey, but I can’t see him managing the Nats much beyond next year. If they were to take home the title this year, he might even decide to go out on top. However it goes, he will always be beloved in DC.

• sdelmonte - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM

He should be beloved in NY, and I am now thinking I should root for the Nats because of him.

• vallewho - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

we’ll always have ’86.

• natslady - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM

At first when Randy Knorr came out to pull Jackson I thought it was some kind of last game “tradition” I wasn’t aware of, y’know, let the bench coach manage. It’s speculated here since Bo took the Astros job that Knorr is manager-in-waiting. It was only after the game that Davey mentioned the numbness in his leg, and even then he joked about it, saying he didn’t want to trip and take a header like Gio. I was late getting on the Davey Train, but am definitely there now. Get well, stay well, Mr. Johnson!

• kkolchak - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I was on the Davey Train from day one. No way this season happens the way it did with that loser Riggleman still at the helm. He did us a huge favor by bailing out early so Davey could get a feel for his players last year.

• natstowngreg - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Knorr’s appearance at the mound was reported that way at first, before Davey’s condition was learned. Hopefully, the condition passed quickly.

BTW, on the subject of manager illnesses, hope Dusty Baker is doing OK.

• pbsenerchia - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Well said – absolutely. It’s been feast or famine in DC as far as managers – Frank, for whatever his weaknesses, is a HOFer and I’ll always love him; then the Acta/Riggleman dark ages; now, the great Davey.

2. deathmonkey41 - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I have lower disc problems- my left leg goes numb quite often.

• kkolchak - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I get leg numbness occasionally just from having had ACL surgery.

3. greymares - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Brain numbness is more prominent on this sight

• pbsenerchia - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

QED.

• kkolchak - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM

And more proof of that in your comment.

4. sophiethegreatdane - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’m a huge Davey Johnson fan, and was very happy to see the Nats hire him. As a lifelong O’s fan, you can’t help but to have the warm-n-fuzzies for Davey, given his history as power-hitting second baseman and manager of the year in 1997. To me, losing Davey was the beginning of the Orioles massive slide into incompetence. I feel like Buck has been the karmic counter-force needed to undo that mess.

Best of luck to Davey and the Nats!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester