Homer Bush says he is not broke, despite what “Broke” implied

Oct 4, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Money Bag

At least what Homer Bush thought it implied.

“Broke” is the ESPN documentary which aired on Tuesday night about athletes, well, going broke.  Former Yankees, Blue Jays and Marlins infielder Homer Bush was on it, and he’s angry about how he was portrayed.  He says he is not broke, that ESPN made him look like he was and that he is doing just fine and working as a financial advisor. He says:

“I can’t tell you how disappointed I was in the show, and how my faith in basic humanity has been shaken.”

OK, I didn’t see “Broke,” so I have no idea how Bush was portrayed. Among you who saw it: was Bush really made out to be broke?  Because I have a hard time believing that ESPN would straight fudge something like that, especially because, based on what others are saying (including TV professional types I’m with at NBC today here in Connecticut), it was really well done.

It’s entirely possible that Bush was cast in an inaccurate light, but it seems more likely to me that Bush is just mad at being an athlete about a show with broke athletes and is worried about being associated with that.

But please: people who saw it, chime in in the comments.

1. merchie89 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

My feeling about it was that they had like 8 former/current athletes all talking about money.

Some were very broke, others are fine. They didnt really differentiate between them.

Bart Scott and Jamal Mashburn arent broke but Keith McCants is very broke.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM

“Faith in humanity is shaken” WTF is he talking about? There was some tool earlier in the week on this very sight that was talking his faith in humanity being restored because that dude who got hit in the head and got another at-bat with the Marlins(and came away with the whiff(on three pitches no less)) and now this douches faith is shaken. What the hell is going on around here?

• 4cornersfan - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I I gather that you have no faith in humanity? Right?

• purnellmeagrejr - Oct 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I remember about a year ago seeing a show on a disaster in India in which a Bollywoood star came to help out (a la Sean Penn) THe person interviewed said the Bolllywoood actor “Restored his faith in celebrities.” I loved the phrase (as is evidenced by the fact that my sieve like memory retained it . Let me offfer the phrase “reilllusioned.” for the jaded and cynical among us.

2. lew24 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

ESPN creating a story out of nothing….hmm…of course not…never!

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

As much as I love bashing ESPN it wouldn’t have been them editing this thing ot would be director Billy Corben. I son’t think Corben would cowtow to ESPN management the way their actual employees have to.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I saw it and I didn’t think they portrayed him as being broke necessarily. Problem is if you didn’t watch the end of it where it said he was now working in finance you could come to the conclusion he was broke. But that was ‘t only him that was basically everyone they were interviewing. Just like a good movie you have to wait till the end to see what happens to everyone.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

You’re saying there was a post-credits scene? Kind of like the Avengers? Tony Stark offering Homer Bush a job in a cubical somewhere?

• purnellmeagrejr - Oct 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Francisco – that was actuallly Brian Cashman saying, “When we’re sure you’re completely washed up you can come back and play for us.”

4. edgecrusher29 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

It didn’t seem to me as though they portrayed him as being broke. In addition to Bart Scott and Jamal Mashburn, Herm Edwards and Homer Bush seemed to be “insiders” talking candidly rather than cautionary tales of athletes gone broke. Towards the end, they did the “where are they know” summary of most of the interviewees…I believe Homer was one of them and it did not mention anything about him being broke.

That said, the fact that he took it upon himself to wear a hat with a logo for something he was obviously trying to promote was the thing that made him look like a broke shill.

5. ogre2010 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I don’t think they made him look ‘Broke’. Matter of fact, they said he was doing well after his sport career.

6. Stiller43 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I think he would be upset about being portrayed that way because (as your article states) he’s a financial advisor…you wanna hand over all your investable assets to a guy who lost all his?

7. ningenito78 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Yeah it didn’t necessarily say he was broke but it didn’t say he wasn’t. And since he was interviewed for a documentary called ‘Broke’ I’m not exactly sure why he’s pissed. Most likely it’s bad for his ‘financial planning’ business.

8. alexb64 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

They did say he was working as a financial advisor but I could see how people could get the impression he was broke because they did have former athletes who are/were broke among some who were simply offering advice on things to avoid, like they made it clear that Herm Edwards was just there to talk about the system & how players need to learn about finances. I think the problem was they did the text profiles explaining the player’s situations at different times, like some were in the middle of the film & some at the very end. Also the end guys, where I believe Bush was included, also had profiles that were confusing because while Andre Rison stated emphatically he didn’t end up like that, his text profile indicated he was in quite a bit of financial trouble.

9. anthonyverna - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Curt Schilling’s broke now, right, after a bad business deal (and putting all eggs in one basket)?

• El Bravo - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM

F yeah he is, bastard is gonna have to sell his disease-riddled sock and everything.

10. djpostl - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM

My guess is some stuff he talked about ended up on the editing room floor and the only things that made there way in from him were negative.

It didn’t come out and say he was broke, but if memory serves the comments he made always seemed to dwell on economic shortcomings when he was an athlete.

He may very well have talked about some great investments to balance it out but we never saw it & now he feels his position as a financial adviser has been undercut.

11. chalkruz1989 - Oct 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM

If Homer Bush is in fact not broke, he should smack himself for portraying it that way. He acted like he squandered all of his savings and has since been in a rut. Jamal Mashburn was on the show and he didn’t come off as broke because he was articulate in explaining what he saw from other players and the steps he took to save money. Homer Bush came off just as dumb as Andre Rison in that show, and the fact that he was trying to market some silly company on his hat was comical.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3104)