Mariners fire hitting coach Chris Chambliss

Oct 4, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

chris chambliss mariners

This is a rough time to be a hitting coach.

Philadelphia fired Greg Gross yesterday, Kansas City fired Kevin Seitzer this morning, and now Seattle announced that Chris Chambliss was let go after the Mariners ranked dead last among AL teams in scoring during each of his two seasons on the job.

It’s tough to argue with a hitting coach being fired after back-to-back seasons ranking dead last in hitting, but Safeco Field being so pitcher-friendly that the Mariners are moving the fences in obviously explains a lot of the team’s ugly numbers offensively. Seattle ranked fifth in road scoring this season, although they were also dead last in road scoring last year.

And now the Mariners’ next hitting coach gets to benefit from the automatic jump in raw offensive numbers that will come as a result of the fences coming in.

1. willclarkgameface - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I love that blame is being placed on the shoulders of hitting coaches. Look at the purging in Philly. Ridiculous.

These players just don’t seriously understand that when THEY suck, everyone else gets fired and they get to continue bringing nothing to the table, collecting nice paychecks until their contracts are up.

Get it together Seattle. With the fences being drawn in this winter we should see a few more homers and a few more people showing up to watch mediocre baseball between you and your new AL West rival, the Houston Astros.

Good Lord that’s going to suck.

2. deathmonkey41 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM

He was fired from the Yankees several years back too, no?

• jayscarpa - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Yankees, Cards, Reds, and Mets. He probably won’t get too many offers. Hopefully the Yankees will give him an ‘advisory’ role.

3. ctc73 - Oct 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Seems like most of the other major league teams have no problems hitting in Safeco…just the M’s.

4. pisano - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

A good Yankee, if George were still here he’d find something for Chris.

5. mybrunoblog - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I’m a Yankees fan so naturally I love this guy but he keeps getting fired from his batting coach jobs. He has also interviewed for a number of managerial positions that he never got. Makes you wonder.

6. jdillydawg - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I wonder if the Mariners have considered the fact that moving the fence in 17 feet gives the other teams the same advantage?

Hey, I live in Seattle. I go to Safeco. Essentially, what this will accomplish is a whole lot more square feet to serve beer in the Pen and get more fans drunker and ideally, spend more. I suppose it could free up more seats for Kings Court, but knowing the Mariners, they’ll trade him before the season starts, thus killing that idea too.

Thinking out of the box here, but maybe the Mariners could focus on having a better team and then fans would come to more games. I know, radical thinking, but sometimes tough problems require radical solutions. I find it funny that their biggest rival – The A’s – have succeeded wildly with far fewer resources. They must have played the A’s like 87 times this year or thereabouts – I would have thought they would have picked up a few good ideas at least.

Moving the fence? Really? Who’s running that place over there? Bart Simpson?

7. denny65 - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM

“Free at last, free at last, lord God almighty I’m free at last!”

I’m pretty sure I heard that refrain being sung by Mariners position players at their various homes around the country this morning. Chambliss was, by all accounts, unable to communicate anything to hitters about hitting, which–hey, correct me if I’m wrong here–batting coaches are supposed to do. Justin Smoak, talking about his batting “surge” in Sept./Oct. (hey, everything’s relative here), credits his father, yes, his father, for the advice he gave Smoak when he was ten or so: keep both hands on the bat through the entire swing.

Chambliss, apparently, had nothing to offer Smoak in two years of coaching.

Jeff Pentland, who is the batting coach at AAA Tacoma, has apparently worked, successfully, with a lot of the Mariners’ hitters. I say give him the major league job.

8. johnb1990 - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Home runs seldom make for a winning season…base hits and doubles with RISP is the key and moving fences won’t help there….moving hitting coaches will!

9. lazlosother - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I’m kinda bummed about this one. As a teenager I had Chris’ brother as a teacher, and I’ve been a Chris homer since then. Hope to see him successful somewhere.

Three legends off to Cooperstown