Mark Reynolds expected to play in Wild Card game despite sore foot

Oct 4, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT

Mark Reynolds AP AP

Mark Reynolds fouled a ball off a bone near his left big toe during yesterday’s game against the Rays. He was fearing a broken bone at first, but Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that X-rays today came back negative.

Reynolds is currently dealing with soreness in the foot, but it will not be enough to keep him out of the lineup for tomorrow’s one-game Wild Card playoff against the Rangers.

“It’s sore, but it’s not anything I’m going to sit out over,” he said.

“It won’t be a problem once you get under the lights and get a little adrenaline flowing. We know how important this game is and I’m sure all the pain will go away.”

Reynolds, 29, batted .221/.335/.429 with 23 home runs, 69 RBI and a .763 OPS in 135 games during the regular season. 16 of his homers came after the All-Star break.

1. lazlosother - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’d love to have something pithy to say, other than congrats to the Orioles and their fans, but I’m out of bullets here. Wish Baltimore the best until they play my team (I’m fully aware I have no connection other than fan).

2. natslady - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

The Nats played all of the AL East this year, and here were my impressions of the managers, FWIW.

Yankees (and Girardi) – fine, professional group that on the weaknesses of our young team. (Nats got swept but all three games were close, and I think our boys learned a lot). Funniest part was three outfielders not understanding a double-switch.
    Showalter – also fine, the O’s are like a sibling rivalry to us (except for the hated Angelos). We played them before anyone thought they would be contending, but the Nats lost the season series. It was fun.
    Toronto – a blur of injured pitchers (two in our series, Morrow and Draybek). The only opponents for whom I actually felt pity. Nats were going through a lot of injuries at the time, but theirs were worse. Nothing funny.
    Maddon – seriously weird guy and the Nats outplayed the Ray on fundamentals. Couldn’t understand what the big deal was about Madden when he and his team made a bunch of stupid mistakes. Easily outmanaged by Davey. Funniest part was Peralta and the pine-tar and then Strasburg holding out his glove and saying, “I don’t cheat.” Maddon also claimed that no player would ever want to play for Davey and the Nats after that. Um, right.
    Valentine – unimpressive and a whiner. Complained endlessly about the umpires, left a bad taste. It was clear Valentine was offended by losing to the Nats. He also was easily outmanaged by Davey.

• atworkident - Oct 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Not sure why this comment is on this post but since you dropped it. I wonder do you even know why the Peralta pine tar incident was REALLY funny? It had nothing to do with Strasburg… and way more to do with the Nats.

3. natslady - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Sorry (edit function). The experienced Yankees played on the weaknesses of the young Nats team.

4. randygnyc - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I’m glad he’s ok. He took so long to compose himself, I’ll admit I thought he had fractured something too. Teams deserve to be at full strength in the playoffs. After 162, they’ve ALL earned it.

5. randygnyc - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Natslady- IMO Buck is the cream of the crop, in all of baseball. Of course, that’s just me, but I think he’s head and shoulders above most managers and is ahead of even the most elite.

• natslady - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Didn’t see Showalter on a pitch-by-pitch basis after June but certainly admired the results and the way his players stepped up. He absolutely got the best out of situations, and you gotta love that bullpen. People say it was luck to win all those 1-run games, and maybe so, but I have to feel there were also managerial tactics and bullpen management.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3609)