Might the Red Sox make Brad Ausmus their next manager?

Oct 4, 2012, 3:15 PM EST

Brad Ausmus AP

The Red Sox have a few options as they embark on the hunt for a new manager for the second straight offseason.

- They can talk to the Blue Jays about a trade for John Farrell, their former pitching coach who left two years ago to manage in Toronto (I’m not a fan of this one).

- They can go take another look at several of the candidates they passed over in favor of Bobby Valentine last year. That list includes such names as Gene Lamont, Pete Mackanin, Sandy Alomar Jr., plus a couple of guys they chose not to interview in Dave Martinez and Ryne Sandberg.

- They can dip further into their past and interview former players Mike Lowell, Bill Mueller and Jason Varitek, if any of them want the job. Lowell’s name came up with the Marlins last month. Varitek, just hired as a special assistant, probably isn’t ready for the commitment of managing just yet.

- They can make a clean break from the past and try someone entirely new. Someone like Brad Ausmus.

Now, this is just my speculation, but Ausmus interviewed for the Astros managerial opening last month, only to remove himself from consideration afterwards. Could it be that the Red Sox let the native New Englander that they were going to have an opening? Ausmus has history with the Astros, but he was raised in Connecticut and he went to school at Dartmouth in New Hampshire. If he’s going to move his family from San Diego, Boston might be the more attractive option.

Ausmus was widely viewed as a future manager while playing. He’s respected by pretty much everybody everywhere. Given that he was primarily a National Leaguer during his 18-year career, it’s possible his preferences might run a little more towards small ball than the Red Sox would like, but I don’t really know that to be the case.

The Red Sox must start over after a year and a month of┬ádisastrous┬ábaseball. Bringing in a manager who has never been connected with the team might be a good start. If not Ausmus, then perhaps Martinez, the Rays’ bench coach, or Sandberg, whose new job with the Phillies won’t prevent him from auditioning elsewhere. It’s time to chart a new course rather than attempt to recapture the magic of 2007.

1. koufaxmitzvah - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Here’s hoping Ausmus stays with Team Israel, a much more peaceful and smoother ride than holding the bench down in Boston, I am sure.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM

^^^

that’s funny right there

2. El Bravo - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Wanting to manage the Red Sox is like wanting to manage our country…you have to an idiot to try for that job and you’re bound to be hated if you get it.

3. thebadguyswon - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

That would be a good choice.

4. proudlycanadian - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I can think of an experienced manager who has won the World Series who might just be available; however, they should move fast as I think that the Indians are after him.

• mazblast - Oct 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Nicely played.

5. teaspoon1731 - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I am a huge fan of Brad Ausmus. Lots of respect for this man. If the Sox went that route, I wouldn’t be angry, especially since they committed to rebuilding.

But at the same time, I prefer the idea of someone a touch less green. Bringing Ausmus onto the coaching staff, sure, love it. Having him manage, I don’t know about that.

• vanmorrissey - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM

After the success of Ventura and Matheney, I would not bet against this move, sounds like a trend Red Sox might take a gamble on. He’d be cheap and he’d have a long leash.

6. Brian Donohue - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Romney has a deep New England connection; I think it would be the perfect sentence, er. job for him.

7. baseballisboring - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Whatever they choose, I’m just praying the owners don’t get involved.

8. rcali - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM

But what if Dustin doesn’t want Ausmus?

• lazlosother - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM

He played to 4.7 or so WAR this year though beaten up & injured. If he stays healthy and dislikes the new guy as much as rumors indicate he hates BV, I’d look for 5.5 to 7.5 WAR. Dustin is the least of Boston’s worries.

9. stex52 - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM

There is no player I had more respect for on the Astros when he was there than Brad Ausmus – none. No one ever doubted that he would be managing one day. And the intelligence and demeanor will fool you – he is tough as nails. I regretted that he didn’t want to get in the battle for Houston in 2013. Not that I blame him.

But I will be surprised if he goes the Boston route. He is very embedded in the southern California life. I think he will look for a way to stay closer to the San Diego area.

10. jayquintana - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I’d rather have Ausmus than ‘tek.

11. billymc75 - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Billy Ripken Jr.

12. bw1980 - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM

The first question that dick Lucchino should ask is “Do you want this job?”. Anybody who answers in the affirmative should be dismissed from the interview because:

A. He’s full of shit; and/or
    B. He’s an idiot; and/or
    C. He’s a liar.

The only acceptable answer is “Work for you assholes? Deal with the media douchebags and the unrealistic expectations? Hell no, I don’t want to. But I need the money.”

That would be the only acceptable answer to me. And I am Red Sox fan.

13. gloccamorra - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I think the observation that his experience is with NL small ball is on the mark. The new Astros owner is a bit of an unknown, but the move to the AL is probably what caused Ausmus to bail. He’s settled in San Diego and has a job with the Padres, so he can wait for what he wants. If he wants a job in So.Cal., he’s got a bit of a wait, though. Only the Dodgers have new owners and an inherited manager, but Donnie has more Hollywood appeal than Ausmus, though Ausmus actually played for the Dodgers. I see him sitting tight and getting more managerial interview experience.

14. bozosforall - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I doubt that Ausmus wants any part of that AW MESS.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester