Oct 4, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT
Horrible news tonight. A’s reliever Pat Neshek lost his baby son, named Gehrig John, one day after he was born.
Neshek left the A’s on Tuesday to be with his wife, Stephanee, as she went into labor and wasn’t with the team as it celebrated its AL West title Wednesday. Stephanee later tweeted a picture of the baby and reported he weighed eight pounds, five ounces. The Neshek family wasn’t given any explanation for Gehrig’s sudden passing.
Pat Neshek last pitched for the A’s on Sunday. The former Twins reliever had a 1.92 ERA in 19 2/3 innings for Oakland this season, making him an obvious candidate for a spot on the team’s postseason roster. The A’s are set to face the Tigers in the ALDS beginning on Saturday.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)