Pat Neshek loses son one day after he was born

Oct 4, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT

Pat Neshek AP

Horrible news tonight. A’s reliever Pat Neshek lost his baby son, named Gehrig John, one day after he was born.

Neshek left the A’s on Tuesday to be with his wife, Stephanee, as she went into labor and wasn’t with the team as it celebrated its AL West title Wednesday. Stephanee later tweeted a picture of the baby and reported he weighed eight pounds, five ounces. The Neshek family wasn’t given any explanation for Gehrig’s sudden passing.

Pat Neshek last pitched for the A’s on Sunday. The former Twins reliever had a 1.92 ERA in 19 2/3 innings for Oakland this season, making him an obvious candidate for a spot on the team’s postseason roster. The A’s are set to face the Tigers in the ALDS beginning on Saturday.

1. raysfan1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I can only imagine that kind of pain. My heart and my prayers to the Neshaks.

• bigharold - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM

What kind of enormous asshole thumbs down any of these post let alone all of them?

There’s no right or wrong here, .. no edge or points to be made, .. Only sympathies to be expressed.

Somebody around here needs to grow the F up.

• hojo20 - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Maybe the thumbs because he didn’t spell Neshek’s name correctly.

• ravenscaps48 - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I sincerely hope the people going through this article, and giving a thumbs down the sincerest and most kind words that you can offer some family during their awful tragedy….. I’m at a loss for words. I hope something happens to you people down the road. Your actions are absolutely DISGUSTING, and you will get what you deserve!

2. Mars Hair - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Horribly sad. What a tragic ending to what would have been a doubly joyous day. My heart goes out to him and his wife.

• mja2001 - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:18 AM

I sit here reading this, living just outside Oakland, watching my almost 2 year old sleep. I never want to know what this is like as a Dad. I’m a medic, seen plenty of bad things but still to be the dad… I just don’t want to go there.

The Bay Area and parents everywhere send their best to the Neshaks.

• mja2001 - Oct 4, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Nesheks, my apologies for the spelling, it’s late…

• raysfan1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Hojo,
        I’ll grant that I can’t type on an iPad worth spit. There are thumbs down on other responses as well that do not involve typos. Explain that.

To the Nesheks,
        My apologies on misspelling your name. Please forgive me and again, my sincerest condolences on your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

3. professormaddog31 - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I can’t even comprehend what kind of hurt the Nesheks are going through. My thoughts and prayers go to their family and friends.

4. bigharold - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Tonight I’m bouncing all over cable and the Internet reveling in my Yankees latest accomplishment and one reads this and realizes just how important MLB is, .. and frankly it’s not really as important as it seems.

It should be a universal law, .. like gravity that parents do not out live their children. How sad.

5. pisano - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

This is one of the most horrible things I’ve ever heard, God rest that innocent baby’s soul. Only a parent can understand what pain these two people are going through. God be with you both.

6. cur68 - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

What inadequate things words are. Still, I’m sorry for these parents. I’m very sorry.

• cogitobaseballergosum - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:03 AM

And yet, for those of us not close enough to offer anything more substantial, words are all that we have. And words of caring and love, even from strangers, won’t erase the pain, but can make the pain easier to deal with. For that reason…

Well said.

• indaburg - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:22 AM

The only thing that would make their pain go away is to give them their baby alive and healthy. Unfortunately, all we haveto give them are wholly inadequate words. My deepest and most heartfelt condolences to these parents.

• raysfan1 - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Amen.

7. yahmule - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:57 AM

My heart goes out to the Neshek family over this tragic loss.

8. theawesomersfranchise - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Heart Breaking

9. ningenito78 - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM

God almighty. I can’t even imagine.

• mazblast - Oct 4, 2012 at 1:51 AM

A God who permits something like this to happen is not deserving of our worship.

My prayers, and I hope those of everyone in and around baseball, go out to the Nesheks. I cannot imagine the pain you must be feeling right now, but hope that the knowledge that we’re all (I hope) with you lends some comfort.

• cogitobaseballergosum - Oct 4, 2012 at 3:10 AM

This is not the forum to debate God. I don’t know if the Nesheks are believers in God, or if they will ever read this blog post, but if they are and do, words that disparage their belief in God are not the least bit comforting or helpful. And, after those words, I’m pretty sure that the following words about your prayers sound rather empty.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Dude. You disparage God and then offer your prayers? Wow.

• mazblast - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

stlouis1baseball–You can pray without praying to God. I pray for the Neshek family finding some peace and comfort wherever they can. I pray that their family and friends rally around them. I pray for the health of their future children.

I won’t get into the God discussion. I was angry and shouldn’t have said what I was thinking.

10. Old Gator - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:00 AM

What an awful thing. The same thing happened to Preston Wilson’s newborn son when he was with the Marlins about ten or twelve years ago. My heart goes out to both families.

11. seahawks80 - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Regardless of what team you cheer for this is terrible. I coould not imagine the pain they are going through. My prayers to the family.

PS: To the idiots that are giving thumbs down, wtf?

12. lardin - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM

i just got finished feeding my sons, breakfast when i read this. One is two and the other is threee weeks old. i immediately went and gave both boys hugs and kisses. there are no words to say to make this feel any better. my thoiguhts and prayers go out to the family

13. wingsrule12 - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM

As someone who has lost an infant. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Just goes to show that life is more important than sports.

• sdelmonte - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM

My thoughts and prayers go to you, as well.

• mazblast - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Amen to that. You’ll never forget, but I hope you take comfort in your other children, present or future.

14. darthicarus - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I can’t imagine having to go through that sort of loss. We lost two kids due to miscarriages & that was tough enough, but being able to hold your child & then suddenly lose them for no reason less than 24-hours later is just terrible. My family will be thinking/praying for the Neshek’s.

15. southpaw2k - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Horrifying news. Pat Neshek goes from being on the highest of highs by welcoming his new son into the world with his wife, and his team wins the AL West, to trafically losing his son. I have no children of my own, but I pray the Heavenly Father will bring peace and comfort to the Nesheks.

16. randygnyc - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Just saw this thread. My heart breaks for the Neshek family. Our children, my child, is the most important part of my life. Very sad.

17. butchhuskey - Oct 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I don’t even know what to say about such a tragic occurrence other than I have the deepest sympathies for the Nesheks- I hope eventually they can overcome their sorrow and go on with life.

18. leftywildcat - Oct 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I can imagine. I, too, have lost a son. The pain does not go away.

Pat and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers; that’s all a stranger can offer.

19. flyingvien - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Horrible. I can’t imagine.

20. eyeh8goodell - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Wouldn’t it be something if people had to post their real names and addresses when they leave comments on the intenet (or in this case, thumbs down posts from well wishers)? Karma is a real thing kids, and you’ll get yours……even for things like this. It ALWAYS comes around. Maybe you’re too young to have seen it, but you will.

21. alphabeta49er - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Prayers for the Neshek couple. The next several months will be awful. Prayers that they have the right people around them, find some way to cope together, and keep their relationship strong going forward. Hopefully with a big family in the future. Peace and best wishes.

22. IdahoMariner - Oct 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

My thoughts and prayers go to this grieving family. There are no words to help, just hoping that time eases some of the pain and brings some peace.

All the trade deadline news to know