Oct 4, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
Philadelphia shook up its coaching staff yesterday, firing bench coach Pete Mackanin, hitting coach Greg Gross, and first base coach Sam Perlozzo within minutes of their final game ending.
Today they announced some of the replacements, including Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg as third base coach. As part of that move Juan Samuel moves to first base coach and the Phillies have also added Steve Henderson as their new hitting coach.
Apparently manager Charlie Manuel will go without an official bench coach, which is interesting, although holdover pitching coach Rich Dubee is sort of his right-hand man by default and as a former Triple-A manager presumably Sandberg could take on some of the usual bench coach role.
Philadelphia filled out the rest of the staff with Rod Nichols as bullpen coach, moving former bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer to catching coach.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 27
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)