Oct 4, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Philadelphia shook up its coaching staff yesterday, firing bench coach Pete Mackanin, hitting coach Greg Gross, and first base coach Sam Perlozzo within minutes of their final game ending.
Today they announced some of the replacements, including Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg as third base coach. As part of that move Juan Samuel moves to first base coach and the Phillies have also added Steve Henderson as their new hitting coach.
Apparently manager Charlie Manuel will go without an official bench coach, which is interesting, although holdover pitching coach Rich Dubee is sort of his right-hand man by default and as a former Triple-A manager presumably Sandberg could take on some of the usual bench coach role.
Philadelphia filled out the rest of the staff with Rod Nichols as bullpen coach, moving former bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer to catching coach.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 19
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 20
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (79)