Oct 4, 2012, 5:58 PM EST
While the Rangers downplayed the idea that anything happened between manager Ron Washington and center fielder Josh Hamilton in the dugout during Wednesday’s season finale, GM Jon Daniels admitted that his former MVP is struggling some at the moment.
Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com has the quotes:
“It’s easy to pick out one guy, but it’s been more than that,” Daniels said. “Has Josh played his best? No. Did he have an unusual injury? Yeah. I think the focal point of media, fans and some of us was the popup yesterday in center field.
“That contributed to the loss, but that’s not why we lost the game. Josh struggling is not why we’ve slumped the last two weeks, but it certainly contributed. The reality is there’s no one reason why we’ve had a rough two weeks. We’ve got a clean slate right now, go out and play tomorrow and win.”
Washington had an exchange with Hamilton in the dugout Wednesday after Hamilton missed a popup in center field, giving the A’s in two runs in what had been a 5-5 game. The Rangers went on to lose 12-5, which cost them the AL West title.
“There was no issue with Josh and I, I don’t care what you’ve seen on the camera,” Washington said. “I’m the manager. I’m allowed to ask questions.”
Hamilton went 10-for-39 with no homers, four RBI and a 17/0 K/BB ratio in the Rangers’ last nine games, seven of which were losses. Miguel Cabrera overtook him for the home run title on his way to the Triple Crown.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 21
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)