Oct 4, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
The Dodgers officially sent right-hander Rubby De La Rosa and first baseman-outfielder Jerry Sands to the Red Sox on Thursday, completing the August megadeal that saw Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto shipped to Los Angeles.
The Red Sox negotiated for De La Rosa and Sands as part of the deal, but the two players were claimed off waivers before Boston could pick up their rights. The Dodgers pulled them back and officially traded them today since, with the regular season over, players no longer need to clear waivers to be traded.
Boston also gained right-hander Allen Webster, infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr. and first baseman James Loney in the nine-player trade. Webster wasn’t on the 40-man roster, so he didn’t need to go on waivers to be traded in August. De Jesus and Loney both cleared waivers.
Along with Webster, De La Rosa was one of the two premium players in the deal. The 23-year-old projects as a No. 3 or perhaps a No. 2 starter for Boston. He could compete for a rotation spot next spring, but odds are that he’ll begin the season at Triple-A Pawtucket. Sands is more of a fringe talent. He could battle for time at first base or in left field, depending on Boston’s other moves.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)