Oct 4, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
The Dodgers officially sent right-hander Rubby De La Rosa and first baseman-outfielder Jerry Sands to the Red Sox on Thursday, completing the August megadeal that saw Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto shipped to Los Angeles.
The Red Sox negotiated for De La Rosa and Sands as part of the deal, but the two players were claimed off waivers before Boston could pick up their rights. The Dodgers pulled them back and officially traded them today since, with the regular season over, players no longer need to clear waivers to be traded.
Boston also gained right-hander Allen Webster, infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr. and first baseman James Loney in the nine-player trade. Webster wasn’t on the 40-man roster, so he didn’t need to go on waivers to be traded in August. De Jesus and Loney both cleared waivers.
Along with Webster, De La Rosa was one of the two premium players in the deal. The 23-year-old projects as a No. 3 or perhaps a No. 2 starter for Boston. He could compete for a rotation spot next spring, but odds are that he’ll begin the season at Triple-A Pawtucket. Sands is more of a fringe talent. He could battle for time at first base or in left field, depending on Boston’s other moves.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)