Oct 4, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
The Dodgers officially sent right-hander Rubby De La Rosa and first baseman-outfielder Jerry Sands to the Red Sox on Thursday, completing the August megadeal that saw Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto shipped to Los Angeles.
The Red Sox negotiated for De La Rosa and Sands as part of the deal, but the two players were claimed off waivers before Boston could pick up their rights. The Dodgers pulled them back and officially traded them today since, with the regular season over, players no longer need to clear waivers to be traded.
Boston also gained right-hander Allen Webster, infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr. and first baseman James Loney in the nine-player trade. Webster wasn’t on the 40-man roster, so he didn’t need to go on waivers to be traded in August. De Jesus and Loney both cleared waivers.
Along with Webster, De La Rosa was one of the two premium players in the deal. The 23-year-old projects as a No. 3 or perhaps a No. 2 starter for Boston. He could compete for a rotation spot next spring, but odds are that he’ll begin the season at Triple-A Pawtucket. Sands is more of a fringe talent. He could battle for time at first base or in left field, depending on Boston’s other moves.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 1
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 87
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (87)