Oct 4, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
The Dodgers officially sent right-hander Rubby De La Rosa and first baseman-outfielder Jerry Sands to the Red Sox on Thursday, completing the August megadeal that saw Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto shipped to Los Angeles.
The Red Sox negotiated for De La Rosa and Sands as part of the deal, but the two players were claimed off waivers before Boston could pick up their rights. The Dodgers pulled them back and officially traded them today since, with the regular season over, players no longer need to clear waivers to be traded.
Boston also gained right-hander Allen Webster, infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr. and first baseman James Loney in the nine-player trade. Webster wasn’t on the 40-man roster, so he didn’t need to go on waivers to be traded in August. De Jesus and Loney both cleared waivers.
Along with Webster, De La Rosa was one of the two premium players in the deal. The 23-year-old projects as a No. 3 or perhaps a No. 2 starter for Boston. He could compete for a rotation spot next spring, but odds are that he’ll begin the season at Triple-A Pawtucket. Sands is more of a fringe talent. He could battle for time at first base or in left field, depending on Boston’s other moves.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)