Red Sox, Dodgers complete the Adrian Gonzalez trade

Oct 4, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT

Rubby De La Rosa AP

The Dodgers officially sent right-hander Rubby De La Rosa and first baseman-outfielder Jerry Sands to the Red Sox on Thursday, completing the August megadeal that saw Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto shipped to Los Angeles.

The Red Sox negotiated for De La Rosa and Sands as part of the deal, but the two players were claimed off waivers before Boston could pick up their rights. The Dodgers pulled them back and officially traded them today since, with the regular season over, players no longer need to clear waivers to be traded.

Boston also gained right-hander Allen Webster, infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr. and first baseman James Loney in the nine-player trade. Webster wasn’t on the 40-man roster, so he didn’t need to go on waivers to be traded in August. De Jesus and Loney both cleared waivers.

Along with Webster, De La Rosa was one of the two premium players in the deal. The 23-year-old projects as a No. 3 or perhaps a No. 2 starter for Boston. He could compete for a rotation spot next spring, but odds are that he’ll begin the season at Triple-A Pawtucket. Sands is more of a fringe talent. He could battle for time at first base or in left field, depending on Boston’s other moves.

1. husky2score - Oct 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Just in time for the postseas- oops nevermind!

2. historiophiliac - Oct 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM

But has De La Rosa faced triple crown champ Miggy Cabrera? If so, how did he fare?

(Sorry, I just don’t know what to do with myself — there’s no baseball on tonight.)

• lazlosother - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I’m lost myself. Relegated to watching hi-lights on MLB and cruising the net. Next thing you know, I’ll be addicted to meth.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Wait….are you saying you’re so bored you’re going to watch a Bowling Green Hot Rods game?

• indaburg - Oct 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Me too. I’m jonesing for some baseball, any baseball. I can’t wait until tomorrow.

• cur68 - Oct 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM

We’re sick, people. Sick I tell you!

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I wonder of Miguel Cabrera (the Triple Crown winner) and Rubby Da La Rosa (who never won the Triple Crown) have ever had a drink together? Have they played catch?
      You know…the Triple Crown winner and the person who didn’t win the Triple Crown.
      By the way…there IS baseball on tonight!

• historiophiliac - Oct 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Thank God!

I have beer chilling in case the O’s win! (And it is NOT Miller Lite) I hope to make the neighbors wonder wtf is wrong with that loon spraying beer, hopping around the front lawn, hollering.

3. bozosforall - Oct 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Of course they did…they needed to clear the deck before starting to work on their golf games this offseason. While better franchises continue to play baseball.

4. istallion - Oct 5, 2012 at 7:48 AM

As a Dodger fan, I’m glad to have the Boston four. Next year should be fun.

• pedroia81 - Oct 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM

As a Boston fan I’m glad to give them to you!!! Good riddance!!! De la rosa is more valuable then the whole Boston package not to mention all the salary being picked up by LA!!! As a Boston fan all I can say is thank you magic!!! Hahaha

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5126)