Oct 4, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Kansas City finished 12th in the 14-team American League in runs scored this season and today the Royals fired hitting coach Kevin Seitzer.
Seitzer was hired as hitting coach before the 2009 season and the Royals have ranked 12th, 6th, 10th, and 13th among AL teams in scoring during those four years.
Eric Hosmer regressing after a very strong rookie season and Mike Moustakas failing to take a big step forward no doubt played a part in Seitzer being let go, although under his tutelage Alex Gordon turned his career around, Billy Butler emerged as an elite bat, and this season young hitters Salvador Perez Alcides Escobar fared well.
Aside from firing Seitzer the rest of manager Ned Yost’s coaching staff will remain intact for 2013.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 36
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 74
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)