Oct 4, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Kansas City finished 12th in the 14-team American League in runs scored this season and today the Royals fired hitting coach Kevin Seitzer.
Seitzer was hired as hitting coach before the 2009 season and the Royals have ranked 12th, 6th, 10th, and 13th among AL teams in scoring during those four years.
Eric Hosmer regressing after a very strong rookie season and Mike Moustakas failing to take a big step forward no doubt played a part in Seitzer being let go, although under his tutelage Alex Gordon turned his career around, Billy Butler emerged as an elite bat, and this season young hitters Salvador Perez Alcides Escobar fared well.
Aside from firing Seitzer the rest of manager Ned Yost’s coaching staff will remain intact for 2013.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)