Oct 4, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Kansas City finished 12th in the 14-team American League in runs scored this season and today the Royals fired hitting coach Kevin Seitzer.
Seitzer was hired as hitting coach before the 2009 season and the Royals have ranked 12th, 6th, 10th, and 13th among AL teams in scoring during those four years.
Eric Hosmer regressing after a very strong rookie season and Mike Moustakas failing to take a big step forward no doubt played a part in Seitzer being let go, although under his tutelage Alex Gordon turned his career around, Billy Butler emerged as an elite bat, and this season young hitters Salvador Perez Alcides Escobar fared well.
Aside from firing Seitzer the rest of manager Ned Yost’s coaching staff will remain intact for 2013.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 41
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106